Electric Distributor Problem

SD_GOON

Hi everyone. I'm Javi, and I just became a new datsun owner a few weeks ago. I'm having a problem with the electric distributor the previous owner installed.

I checked all the wiring using one of the diagrams I found here on Ratsun but I can't get the engine to turn over.

It just keeps stalling. Could it be the "c" "b" connector on the dizzy? Also, does the circled connector go to ground? Thanks in advance guys.

20120315185818.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-15

20120315184700.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-15

I don't wanna be a dick and ask for help before posting pics of my goon lol. So here's two

20120308150250.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-15

20120308150146.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-15

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone. I'm Javi, and I just became a new datsun owner a few weeks ago. I'm having a problem with the electric distributor the previous owner installed.

I checked all the wiring using one of the diagrams I found here on Ratsun but I can't get the engine to turn over.

It just keeps stalling. Could it be the "c" "b" connector on the dizzy? Also, does the circled connector go to ground? Thanks in advance guys.

20120315185818.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-15

20120315184700.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-15

I don't wanna be a dick and ask for help before posting pics of my goon lol. So here's two

20120308150250.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-15

20120308150146.jpg

Shot at 2012-03-15

The circled terminal can be run to a good ground.

You say you can't get it to turn over yet then say it keeps stalling. ???? Can I assume that you really mean to say that it starts, but then quits when you let go of the key??

If you have a matchbox and the proper coil then you do not need the ballast resistor. If it starts up with the starter turning but quits when you let go of the key then the ballast is bad or not wired correctly.

20120315185818.jpg

This is the correct way to wire an EI matchbox dizzy with the correct EI coil...

What coil is that you're using???

EIwiringtocoil.jpg

Nice goon (like the color), welcome to ratsun.

What's up tocayo.

Is that ceramic resistor connected?

Yeah the distributor is connected but I don't think there's a spark.

Datzenmike what I meant was that the car cranks but it does not turn over and yeah that is the diagram I used to check the wires.

I'll try removing the resistor and see if the car starts. Will grounding the "circle" make a huge difference?

blk /white wire is keyed 12volt ON

Blk/Blu is 12volt START

put both these wire to the +side coil.

B goes to +side coil

C goes to - side coil.

ballast not needed with a MSD coil as its made to run a straight 12-14volts.

pull the center coil wire from the dizzy cap and place near strut tower bolt and hit the key motor should turn over and you see a spark.(meaning it works but still need to ck the when it goes to #1 plug wire at the right time.

watch vid.

make sure disributor is timmed. as most 510 guys are Morons and just put the dizzy in thinking its going to self line up

However I see some more wires and sometimes they hook up a wire on the down side of the ballast to hook up the BCDD swithc to the carb.

this is a half hour job if that if this distribitor is good .

Or ask soem one local to come over and help you.

Dont be hacking things up

this is a straight car!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1