power brakes for a 68 truck??

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2eDeYe;54882'']Yes there is. It will require a bit of research and some brackets from Fineline or BEEBANI here on the forum.

Or you can make your own, like I would...:D no offense to Fineline or BEEBANI

Obviously try and find the smallest booster possible.

I think size matters in terms of how much the pressure is increased... I think Mike or someone else might be the best person to ask, but assuming the amount of pressure stays constant (brake booster operates off vacuum pressure), as you increase the size of the booster, you increase the surface area of the diaphram. More area at a given PSI = more overall pressure.

I suppose bigger is better, but the larger you go, the larger the volume of air you have to move in order to maintain correct pressure. If you go too large, your stock lines may not provide adequete pressure to keep up with demands, meaning you may actually lose power in the booster, as well as throwing off all the other components that require vacuum... and I think most people here have had experiances with faulty vacuum lines.

So... don't go any larger than you need. The late 620 boosters should be plenty good enough.

The limit is the diameter. Too big and it won't fit beside the clutch master cylinder and above the steering column. I don't think the size will effect the motor too much. The 720 has a huge booster and the '80 L20B worked it ok. The reasom for the bigger booster? it has a bigger m/c to push. How did they get a larger diameter booster in the 720? They mounted it on a 8" pedestal to move it away from the fire wall. This gives clearance from the steering column and the m/c.

If you had an automatic you could fit a 720 one in there with some mods. If you kept the stock m/c it would take less pedal pressure to stop

Well here's what I did. 620 booster and some cutting on the fire wall. Brake master is from a 75 280Z. Oh yeah. Had to add an extra brake line too

Had to move the clutch master up and over. Then had to fab some on the brake pedal. The pedal moves the same amount but does not push the piston as far making the clutch just barrily disengage.

No Prob. Swap the 5/8 clutch slave for the original 521 7/8 brake master. It moves more fluid. Check it out. It has amazing brakes now.

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg