Gas gauge not functioning after installing new fuel pump

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The A series uses a mechanical pump on the engine and has no connection to the tank sender electrically.

With key on, ground the Black wire going to the tank sender. If nothing happens ground the other colored wire and the gauge should read full. If it does the problem is in the tank sender.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your input guys. I've been a little busy but got around to trying to find the issue here and it appears to be the actual float on the sender failing to actually float. A new sender it is!

Is the float mechanism stuck or it just won't float?

May have just seized up from sitting for months. Maybe you could save a few bucks by working the mechanism a bit.

Maybe it is just worth it to buy a new one.

It's not stuck, it just won't float. Kind of an odd situation. When I move the arm on it by hand the gauge moves. It's probably best just to buy a new one. I haven't had to spend too much on the car anyways, might as well put some money into it.

Let us know if you find a new sender for sale :ninja: I always thought that was impossible, but I never did try very hard :rofl: