wants to die in gear

spydrr21

i have an 82 nissan sentra 5 speed 1.5. i just had the top end re built and im still having problems with it. any time i put it into gear it wants to die. if its not in gear its fine. but as soon as you shift even with the clutch in it just dies. cant find a vacume leak but if you cover the carb it has no problems. some one said i have a leak in my carb. nut i want to know for sure whats going on before a tear my carb apart or buy a new one. any ideas.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have an 82 nissan sentra 5 speed 1.5. i just had the top end re built and im still having problems with it. any time i put it into gear it wants to die. if its not in gear its fine. but as soon as you shift even with the clutch in it just dies. cant find a vacume leak but if you cover the carb it has no problems. some one said i have a leak in my carb. nut i want to know for sure whats going on before a tear my carb apart or buy a new one. any ideas.

The only thing I ever had happen that was like that was in my 73 Datsun with a dual point distributor. It would run fine threw all gears except 4th. It was a 4 speed. Even if you was sitting still, you stick it in 4th and it would dye. The problem with my truck was that it would run on 1st threw 3rd on the one point and 4th on the other for some kind of timing advanced. Before I knew it was a point issue, I just unplugged the wires on the transmission, looped them together and it was fine.

I don't know if this helps at all, you probably have electronic ignition...

The only thing I ever had happen that was like that was in my 73 Datsun with a dual point distributor. It would run fine threw all gears except 4th. It was a 4 speed. Even if you was sitting still, you stick it in 4th and it would dye. The problem with my truck was that it would run on 1st threw 3rd on the one point and 4th on the other for some kind of timing advanced. Before I knew it was a point issue, I just unplugged the wires on the transmission, looped them together and it was fine.

I don't know if this helps at all, you probably have electronic ignition...

ya mine is electronic i believe. and its all gears it dies in. when i started it this morning it was fine had no issues for about 5 min or so. i think its when the choke opens it starts having problems. im not sure though. thanks for the help

Did this problem start around the time the head was rebuilt? Often when work is done things like hoses or wires are put on wrong or simply forgotten and not put on at all. I can't make a connection between the transmission in gear and how the engine knows this and reacts.

All I can find on an '82 transmission for a switch is the reverse lights. '83s have a neutral switch that might affect the emissions control..

Did this problem start around the time the head was rebuilt? Often when work is done things like hoses or wires are put on wrong or simply forgotten and not put on at all. I can't make a connection between the transmission in gear and how the engine knows this and reacts.

All I can find on an '82 transmission for a switch is the reverse lights. '83s have a neutral switch that might affect the emissions control..

i was having the problem before it got a little better after i had the head re built but still wants to die. check for leack and couldnt find any. when it was choked it was running really good just high idle. but if its wamed up and you just hold the rpms at like 2500 it will still die when put into gear. im planning on getting a carb from the junk yard and putting it on when i get payed but i dont want to blow money for no reason.

If you leave in neutral and depress the clutch peddle what happens?

nuthing changes. only when i put it in gear. i was out side playing with it and i tried every gear still the same even tried turning up the idle and advancing the timing still no change. just doesn't want to run when its in gear.

Does it shift into gear easily?

its shifts great. just dies as soon as it goes in.

it has been having some problems starting. almost a backfire at times or to much compression..... it doesnt want to starts and when i let off it blow back sounds like air no fire yet. could my timing be off or 180 flop?

Did you remove the distributor or really drop the oil pump or remove the plug wires recently????????

IM thinking your out of time alot and when you put a load on it the timming goes out.

How about putting a timming light on it when you get this running. and tell us what it says. It will be obvious.

If this is points dizzy and hard to start. make sure your wires are hooked up to the ballast and nice and tight.Could be a loose HOT START wire

or wiggle the the back connector by key switch. could be loose contack also/corrosion

This is facinating. Only quits when put in gear. :lol:From the info given this can't happen...

There has to be a neutral switch on the transmission that upsets the emissions controls. I looked and can't find one on an '82 but the '83 has one. I'll look again.

^^^ what banzai said. I had this happen on a fairmont that jumped a tooth on the timing chain. Ran fine in park and would even rev up fine but the second I tried to put it in gear it died. I think maybe your sprocket is off a tooth or something after reinstalling the head. This also would explain the hard starting and backfiring.

If you leave in neutral and depress the clutch peddle what happens?

nuthing changes. only when i put it in gear. i was out side playing with it and i tried every gear still the same even tried turning up the idle and advancing the timing still no change. just doesn't want to run when its in gear.

Does it shift into gear easily?

it has been having some problems starting. almost a backfire at times or to much compression..... it doesnt want to starts and when i let off it blow back sounds like air no fire yet. could my timing be off or 180 flop?

He said a 5 speed and I asked if if the clutch had any effect.... he said no. I asked if difficult to shift into gear to eliminate clutch dragging... he said no, only when in gear. So the question then, is how the hell does the engine know it's in gear??? and how is this upsetting the engine???

Still say there is a tranny switch involved here.

Mike hes speaking Datsun Ebonics.

You kinda go to to read inbetween the lines on this one.

only other thing I can think of immediatly is hes running out of gas also when it loads up.

blocked main jet in carb.

so when he puts it in gear hes hitting the gaspedal to get rolling and dies.(thats what Im getting out of this)

I know nothing about the newer cars but could also be a vaccume line

Mike hes speaking Datsun Ebonics..

:lol: crap... NEVER ASSume.

any time i put it into gear it wants to die. if its not in gear its fine. but as soon as you shift even with the clutch in it just dies.

nuthing changes. only when i put it in gear. i was out side playing with it and i tried every gear still the same

Spydrr21:

Does it die only when letting the clutch out in gear??????

Or does it die when in gear while keeping clutch down????

I'm sure YOU know what you mean but I can't read minds. :lol:

Sorry guys. I'm Not the best at saying what its doing. I'm going to try and say everything I can think of and ill try to answer all the questions. If I miss something I'm sorry. Ill read through everything after I reply.

So it dies in gear. If I give it gas I can keep it running but it will try to die if I don't feather the gas. it dies while I'm still holding the clutch as soon as I put it inot gear. A few times when iv let it sit all night and went out in the morning its ran perfect for about 5 min. Then it went bck to dying. I can push the clutch in and out and it does nuthing. Its just when I push the shifter into gear. I took it to an auto shop and checked for leaks but couldn't find any (might still have some) but when I was there the lead was checking the carb and when she put her hand over the carb it ran great no problems. Idk what thet means. She said to try rebiulding the carb. Idk if I answered everything. I'm going to do the timing today or tomorrow and ill let you know what I get.

It's OK everyone know what they mean, sometimes hard to get it across to others.

Does this happen when driving it around? You make it sound like you are stopped sitting still when this happens.

The reason it may run better when cold is the choke is on forcing a rich condition. When it warms the choke shuts off and it runs lean. So two things.

Idle cut solenoid isn't working

Idle mixture adjustment is wrong.