Ball joint spacers

poor-mans-720

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cool, cool... I need to find a different setup for my shocks. I am pretty sure they are stock, and blown to the deepest level of hell...

But the fab work is going to be easy. Just going to weld a tube steel between my frame right over my rear axle, then run inverted V setup with rancho's or something long.

so got my upper control arm separted from my ball joint (which was shredded) and got that damn cotter pin out but how did you guys get the bolt stemming down from the ball joint out of the hole it is in?? i got the bolt off of it and everything it just wonnt slide out of the hole?? and also what is your sugestion as to getting the upper control arm on the easiest?? some how to steps would be nice :D

You putting on new a arms?

As for the old ball joints, I just took a reg old hammer and kept pounding upward on them til they came loose.

I picked up ball joints at autozone at 18 bucks a piece (don't get their duralast ones) but if you want really cheap then go to rockauto dot com.

will these spacers fit inside/under 2wd a arms? Do your old ball joint grease housing fit inside of the spacers? I know the autozone tried using the same ball joint part number for both 2wd and 4wd and they wouldn't even fit in my a arms or spacers.

head to your nearest AutoZone/Oreilys and ask em to see both 2 and 4wd... I think they are the same. If not, see if the bolt holes are the same, and you can use 4wd ones. I looked in the JY at both 2 and 4wd and they looked identical...

i know the bolt pattern is the same... but for some reason the 2wd one had a weenie sized castle nut on it and the housing where the grease fitting goes was too fat to fit in both my a arm and the spacer alike...

could have just been that crap duralast brand was bunk all around or the 2wd and 4wd have minute but important differences.

Hey... Pm's 720.... Your a arms are mounted on the inside of the frame like my 82, right?

How long are your mounting bolts? Mine are so short that even with one 1/8 inch shim on them they are almost not threading all the way through...

Do you know the size and pitch of those bolts? I want to get longer ones so I can shim them more to fix the camber without cranking my torsion bars to the max.

yea, I dunno how long they are specifically... but they do look like they dont go all the way thru. but i think that is just an optical illusion.

What do you mean shim it, mine leaned in at the top, putting a shim in there will just make it worse. what we would have to do it lengthen the A-arm to push the top of the tire back out. should grab some photos really quick. you can always pull one out in a home depot parking lot, run in and find the same pitch bolt. But im sure it will probably be metric. Lowes near me doesn't carry larger then M12. Which i still dont think is large enough. might try a more specific hardware store. Mclendons or ace or something...

There's a place called fastenal out here that sells all sorts of of fittings and nuts/bolts... Prob where I would look first.

Without my torsion bars cranked my tires actually bow out at the top(see earlier in this thread, after installing spacers but before alignigning the tires the first time)... So I have to figure a way to suck em in that doesn't destroy my ride again like cranking torsion bars.

im confused... yours bowed out, at the top. Then how did cranking on the torsion bars fix this. wouldn't it have made it worse? Seems like everyones truck reacted differently to them. Mine went in with just a little bit of Toe issue... no biggie. But i didnt have any spacers in my UCA's to begin. okay, now when you say you UCA is mounted on the inside. you mean that your bolts are one the engine bay side, and that is where the rod between the UCA is located. I am gonna have to look for that pic. see if i cant get some clarification...

Okay, I seen your UCA mounting, same as mine. but the weird thing is, mine went the different way at the top of the tire. And I maxed out the torsion bars to fix mine. I wonder if it has something to do with you ball joints. Was there a Left an Right?? I just cant figure out why yours did the complete opposite of mine.

Idk bro... Usually when you frank up your torsion bars it pulls in the tips of the tires....

Look here...

2012-04-28102029.jpg

This is what happened to mine after the spacers (skulptrs did the same only worse), so cranking the torsion bars pushed down both the upper a arm and lower control arm and especially cause of the spacer angle, pulled the top inwards. Because the a arm is shorter then the control arm the more you drop it the faster its going to move towards the vehicle compared to the lower control arm...

The only way for me to fix this with such large spacers is to now get bigger mounting bolts and shim them a lot more... Then un crank the torsion bars and enjoy the ride.

I took a grinder to that hump, and ground most of it off... gave me quite a bit more. And i still didn't go all the way though. That is an effing thick piece of frame right there. So structurally i am not worried.

ha! Nice bro, I wish I had some hardware to work with like that. Really need a grinder/disc cutting tool, a power sander, a welder and an air wrench.... Would make life so much easier....and fun

4 1/2" grinder, Home Depot was like $15-20 and is awesome... love that thing... been running a 6" disc on it, no problem.... cant count how many times ive used it. Ryobi... I have a bunch of thier cordless tools too. Not a band brand for me... liking them.

Did you read into how I fixed mine? I loosened the uca bolts and pulled out all the shims, and adjusted the toe a little bit and fixed. Can't afford an alignment yet, but at least I'm not eating up tires, and it drives straight

Idk bro... Usually when you frank up your torsion bars it pulls in the tips of the tires....

Look here...

2012-04-28102029.jpg

This is what happened to mine after the spacers (skulptrs did the same only worse), so cranking the torsion bars pushed down both the upper a arm and lower control arm and especially cause of the spacer angle, pulled the top inwards. Because the a arm is shorter then the control arm the more you drop it the faster its going to move towards the vehicle compared to the lower control arm...

The only way for me to fix this with such large spacers is to now get bigger mounting bolts and shim them a lot more... Then un crank the torsion bars and enjoy the ride.