Ball joint spacers

poor-mans-720

they're only 55 bucks at the local jy and i have 10 trucks with work with. just hoping they arent all garbage.

and i didnt need to get out and lock it up, i have auto free hubs. i was in 2wd on purpose, just wanting to make a mess and get a nice coating of mud. was going to go 4 low with going back up the hill

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welp.... Just finished getting the alignment all done and not pulling left or right bad and looking straight... Take it out on the trail... Decide to take a nice hill.. Hop out lock up the hubs and throw it in 4 low cause its very rocky.... Have a couple tire spins and hang ups but kept backing up and trying a slightly different line and kept making progress...till suddenly I can't turn right at all... Great...

Had to back all the way down the hill, unlock the hubs... Was worried I jacked up a cv joint or blew a hub that was binding when turning...luckily not...

What it was in the end was the very part I was just adjusting... The left(drivers side) side rod had bent in the inner side/end between the joint and adjusting sleeve and was pushing against the frame/out cropping for the lower bump stop...bent the frame even a lil bit... So I had to do a trail patch repair to get home...

I was pretty proud of the fix... Shrunk the left rod as much as possible and extended the right one to match the steering...

Gave me just enough room to steer the trail and streets to get home but the adjustment has left me driving down the road with my steering wheel vertical, not horizontal... guess I get to replace some steering components now, prob did need to do this anyhow... Always more parts with this truck....

dudes!!! WTF... cant believe this happened to both of you... sucks. I went out and the worst that happened to me was getting stuck for a bit... one of you blows a tranny, and the other a tie rod.

bad luck... but it happens. Hey, skulptr you should keep the thread going on the tranny replacement. I need to do mine. Second gear is a bitch to get in, and 5th keeps poping out while i am driving. so it is a bitch to deal with.

I'll post pics and a write up once she's done screwing with me.

something else I found out. My truck is maxxed on lift as far as the suspension goes. I found out my passenger side front cv is rubbing the torsion bar. Really sucks cause now its scored and has a serious weak point

whew... need to check that on mine... I wouldn't be able to really notice something like that until i use 4WD and see where all the grease and crap is scraped off... BRB

And yes. just ran down to my truck and can see where the frame just barely rubs against my half shaft. Well once my eye heals up and can see, ill find a fix for this. I am sure there is someway to get this figured out. now i wish i woulda just made 1" spacers... coulda made another set from all the 1.5" spacers i made, and it woulda saved a lot of headache for most of ya... Live and learn...

@Poopy- Were you sure ya tightened the 12MM bolts back up? I didn't tighten mine while adjusting it, and just pulling it out my driveway, down the street and back, the thing vibrated 3 full turns, and almost right off... And that was just me trying to settle the suspension for measurements. I think i am just going to say screw replacing all those damn joints on mine, and going with a custom DOM heim joint steering... All my joints are trashed... On a jack, i can move both my tires, like 6" back and forth. just from the slack in the joints. And, all the 4x4's are in eastern WA. I have been looking thru the JY for like the last 6 months, and seen ONE 4x4, thats all... While Skulptr has 10 to work with... I have none... lucky bastard :)

whew... need to check that on mine... I wouldn't be able to really notice something like that until i use 4WD and see where all the grease and crap is scraped off... BRB

And yes. just ran down to my truck and can see where the frame just barely rubs against my half shaft. Well once my eye heals up and can see, ill find a fix for this. I am sure there is someway to get this figured out. now i wish i woulda just made 1" spacers... coulda made another set from all the 1.5" spacers i made, and it woulda saved a lot of headache for most of ya... Live and learn...

@Poopy- Were you sure ya tightened the 12MM bolts back up? I didn't tighten mine while adjusting it, and just pulling it out my driveway, down the street and back, the thing vibrated 3 full turns, and almost right off... And that was just me trying to settle the suspension for measurements. I think i am just going to say screw replacing all those !@#$%^&* joints on mine, and going with a custom DOM heim joint steering... All my joints are trashed... On a jack, i can move both my tires, like 6" back and forth. just from the slack in the joints. And, all the 4x4's are in eastern WA. I have been looking thru the JY for like the last 6 months, and seen ONE 4x4, thats all... While Skulptr has 10 to work with... I have none... lucky !@#$%^&* :)

I def had em tightened back up... and left my 12mm wrench and socket laying in my parking spot at home... I had to use a set of vice crescent wrench(pretty awesome combo of tools, crescent wrench adjust then lock it tight n sqeeze the nut/bolt good so it wont round it off!) and a pair of pliers to get them loose on the trail and then tighten em back up... n the wrench is HUGE so I didnt have much play room... one sixth of a turn at a time was all I could do while laying in the dirt... sucked.

But Wow.... 3 turns made it almost come off???? mine has WAY deeper and finer threads then that... I had inches of adjustment on each side... took a TON of turns just to move it out 2 inches on both tie ends of the right(passenger) assembly in order to align the steering after shortening the drivers side to get it off the frame...

I fount out also that 4wd and 2wd have different inner tie rods, but outer are the same... gonna just get a whole new set of em for both sides from rockauto... dont want to wind up taking another worn pair off another JY donor and having it bend next time Im wheeling too or add more play to the steering... just get it new and hopefully reliable enough to handle what I throw at it.

I had my axle just barely off the frame after adjusting everything and turning em up to the bump stops... but noticed the wheeling from yesterday took some dust off my shaft (didnt score it luckily) and is def rubbing with a lil travel.... will prob have to back em off the bump stop just a lil and it will be fine.

Ill take pictures in a second and post em... gotta let my phone charge for a second.

no... being a dumbass. I had broke my safety glasses that i use for grinding. Was looking for them and ending on stepping on them. well I was in a rush to slap my bumper together just so i could hit the mountain when my GF got off work. was the first time since the spacers, so i wasn't letting anything stop me. Well i was grinding on the bumper so i could put it together so it would be alright for my trip up the mountain. Well I caught a metal shard in the eye. sent a huge chunk right into my cornea... had to go to the ER on Sunday, when i realized what it was, to get it removed. holy shit, I can not preach enough, wear safety glasses. not only did it hurt like a BITCH and leave me blind for 2 days, The doctor had to drill... yes, take that one in... DRILL it out of my eye. I use a drill... and he did to. just to get the chunk outta my eye...

well, I dont know about falling off... lol, i didnt really check how far those end pieces went in. But I had turned them 4 or 5 times to get my steering straight, and then when i didnt titghten them they turned another 4 or 5 times. by the amount of clean and shiny thread that was showing on the end links, made me think that they were damn near about to fall out...

Gotta see pics of your trail repaired link... this is a surprise to me. I beat the piss outta mine, so i am curious to what caused yours to bend... good thing you didnt have to tow it. That stuff gets really pricy. I took one of my half shafts off on the trail once just so i could drive my truck home...

go new with them. I am ordering some too... They are cheap. think about what the JY would charge, then add a little extra for that protection of them being new... worth it...

That sucks man... Def dangerous working without safety equipment.

Here's a pic of in the wheel well, from above to show how bad it bent (the inner tie bends a lil bit to clear the idler/pitman arm, but not this much) and you can see below/behind it where it bent the frame outcrop for the front lower bump stop...(upper dent from the tie rod, lower from the clasp)

2012-04-30152255.jpg

This is the space I made to pull it away from the frame and the dents...

2012-04-30152325.jpg

Here's it hitting the frame (but already shrunk so the dents don't align anymore)

2012-04-30152451.jpg

Here's how much I shrunk the entire divers side bent rod...

2012-04-30152532.jpg

Now, compared to the passenger rod... With a shallow bend...

2012-04-30152639.jpg

And here's how much I extended the passenger rod to make up for shrinking the other...

2012-04-30152616.jpg

holy jeez-us... that thing is surly bent... but them shining things up top sure do look good...

your steering is weird, I dont think that my tie rods are bent like that... weird. gonna double check really quick... Yea, guess they are... I am going to change that. Guess i might as well start sourcing a D44 for a SAS...

Surely looks destroyed though...

dudes!!! WTF... cant believe this happened to both of you... sucks. I went out and the worst that happened to me was getting stuck for a bit... one of you blows a tranny, and the other a tie rod.

bad luck... but it happens. Hey, skulptr you should keep the thread going on the tranny replacement. I need to do mine. Second gear is a bitch to get in, and 5th keeps poping out while i am driving. so it is a bitch to deal with.

my breaks blew up on me

that is scary... happened to my truck the other day too, apparently had a vacuum leak. much easier fix... was doing doughnuts, and my booster didnt like it. pedal went to the floor, and my eyes went huge... but good thing was, i just pushed on them again and good to go... Wont be doing that again...

I need to rebuild them before it happens again... I would freak if that happen to me on the road. Issue is in WA everything is a hill.... steep most the time. sucks.... Az is pretty flat... so safe'er there... but still shitty...

Happened Monday night. It was fun. Breaks flew off my passenger side and break pedal went to the floor...truck is okay. Gettin 2 new calipers...ill post pics when I get things fixed. Won't be for a while cuz I have no money haha

oh, by the way..was this after putting in your spacers?