Ball joint spacers

poor-mans-720

have to jack up the front of the truck to relieve pressure off the bar, by letting the control arm go down. so jack up from the body, or somewhere else on the frame. NOT the lower control arm, thing that the end of the torsion bar is bolted to in front. should drop down once the tire is off the ground, and bolt is removed. if not, hit with hammer on top and try and coax it down.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

vids, and my write up, are up. only took me 15 minutes a side! the adjusting after i pulled out took longer than the actual reindexing portion.

nissanperrunner, check into the videos. that adjuster arm is just floating.

okay here is a little update before i go to the yard tomorrow and look at some more aluminum.

It looks that it will work for 620 too, they have the same upper ball joint, so for the 620 guys out there, i will check in the morning on a buddies 620, punkin620, lol...

Also here is some pics of the gains that i got, the right side is the one with the spacer, the other side is just drooping down. i jacked it up to make it level. to show how much i got.

I do believe that results will vary from each individual. Based on torsion bars reindexed or what not, Mine have been reindexed. and backed off from full tightened down.

notice the abilty to see clear over the top of the tire in the after shot. really brings into view the results...

Before

temporary-65.jpg

After 3 inch body lift and 1.5" spacers

temporary-66.jpg

temporary-53.jpg

Hurry the FFFFFFF up! Lol my ride is so bad right now, I spend more time in the air from bouncing than my ass does in the seat at a stop lol one speed bump feels like 5

depending on the price you wind up at I may be interested...

Also... do you know if using larger grade 8 bolts will riquire and drilling or resizing?

Looks like a solid amount of lift... can you forsee and extra wear coming to the upper a arms because of this spacer?

Got my truck in the shop right now getting the z22 rebuilt... should have it back in a week or 2(machine shop just got the engine yesterday) n one of the first things Im doing is getting the torsion bars re-indexed, Ive been running on them cranked up and its one hard ride. would love to have some decent spacers if they really add that much lift without straining other parts or much modifications(bolt right in).

@poopy- the bolts are the same size, they are just longer. So no redrilling, tapping, or modifications required. Simply, pull old bolts, slide spacer in, put new bolts in, enjoy the ride...

it actually decreases the wear on your upper ball joints too.

@skulptr- I agree, I want them too, bad... I mocked some up out of 4x4 an there on the truck now. Simply for design and fitment. But, I know how shitty the ride is without them. But the startup cost is what's holding me back. Cost a little bit to do this and im waiting to have the money to get it started.

Making any headway on this project???

Im thinking this is the best possible lift mod for the 720 suspension... talking to some other guys on other boards Ive found that some of the other A-Arms made aftermarket are easily broken or bent and that the spacers wind up doing less damage and at most sheer off bolts on the trail on occasion... which is easily replaced...

I just hope grade 8 bolts would be strong enough to prevent this from really being an issue.

• Like 1

I am waiting on funds. Taxes should be coming soon though.... :/ I've already sourced the aluminum, just don't want to drop it off at the machinist without funds. sorry, its a great idea, money is so tight on my end it squeeks when i sit on my wallet... but refund should catch me back up... major mod monies...

@poopy- yea, i heard the same about the A-arms. Toyota guys have been running the spacers for many years, and ive searched, and still cant find a bad word about em...

I put my 4x4 ones to a little test the other day, just running up and down some ditches and hills in the back part of my street. even made out of wood, they handled great, did find at this amount of lift, 1.5", i had to adjust my tie rods, to get some of the pigeon toe out of it. but that was just a simple drive way adjustment. easy day...

• 2 weeks later...