720 rear end into a 620

As the title suggests, i'm looking into swapping the whole rear end to rectify the smashed diff / shagged wheel bearings and carriers drama i'm currently faced with.

i have a donor 720, i'm pretty sure the axle assembly is slightly wider which i think is a good thing, that's 2 less spacers i need to get the flush goodness i crave.

However its the spring perch location that i really need to confirm, are they the same width apart as the 620? will it bolt in? or am i better off just swapping the diff centre and worrying about the wheel bearings at a later date when im not so poor and can afford new ones?

Also even tho i did do a bit of research it would be nice to just get a firm YES to the compatibility of the diff centres, is the 720 a straight bolt in if i cant swap the whole rear end??

thanks in advance.

Benny.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title suggests, i'm looking into swapping the whole rear end to rectify the smashed diff / shagged wheel bearings and carriers drama i'm currently faced with.

i have a donor 720, i'm pretty sure the axle assembly is slightly wider which i think is a good thing, that's 2 less spacers i need to get the flush goodness i crave.

However its the spring perch location that i really need to confirm, are they the same width apart as the 620? will it bolt in? or am i better off just swapping the diff centre and worrying about the wheel bearings at a later date when im not so poor and can afford new ones?

Also even tho i did do a bit of research it would be nice to just get a firm YES to the compatibility of the diff centres, is the 720 a straight bolt in if i cant swap the whole rear end??

thanks in advance.

Benny.

I bolted a 85 complete rear axle into my 521, so I cannot see a reason why the 620 would be differant, as far as I know, they are the same from 1968 through1986 as far as the mount width/perch, and the center pumpkin is the same bolt pattern from 1963 to 1986ish, but the axle splines can be differant depending on the model.

The 720 rear axles have the brake line mount/access on the passinger side, the 521 line mount/access is on the drivers side, I don't know what side the 620 rear brake line access is on.

sounds like a winner then. thanks Wayno, nothing better than a speedy and helpful reply. hopefully the fuck truck will live again tomorrow.

p.s. your 320 is gangster, wish there was more vintage tin like that over here. don't think i've even seen one on the road before, shit, i'd never even seen a 620 prior to stumbling across mine.

sounds like a winner then. thanks Wayno, nothing better than a speedy and helpful reply. hopefully the fuck truck will live again tomorrow.

p.s. your 320 is gangster, wish there was more vintage tin like that over here. don't think i've even seen one on the road before, shit, i'd never even seen a 620 prior to stumbling across mine.

I hope everything works out, you should probably measure the width of the perches before you start, there are some differances between the vehicles you received in Austrailia and the ones we have over here in the USA.

I have never heard of a frame differance, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

We didn't get double cabs over here in the 720 series, but a few have found there way to here from Mexico.

I had no idea where Kangaroo Island was till I just looked it up, it's such a tiny place, I would say that everybody knows everybody there, and your likely the only Ratsuner there. :cool:

Got the donor axle tonight with a bit ot help from my brother and my mate, i'd rattle on about the hardships of removing it but im sure you all know about working with datsuns that have been found in a field somewhere...

Brake lines are on the right side and everything looks to be a direct bolt in, i dont have a tape measure so i will just have to rip out the other one and line them up side by side.

didn't take any action shots, i had limited time to get what i needed so it was all a bit rushed, even had to cut the handbrake lines as i ran out of time and daylight to unhook them.

As soon as i pry myself off of ratsun i'll go and swap in all my new goodies

obligatory Oic as to not offend..

dsc00159hw.jpg

Also got some decent rear shocks,a pair of stock rims and arm rests since my 620 must have been a poverty pack and never had them, but that's getting off topic.

As for a datsun meet. i think my truck and my partners n10 pulsar would be the only 2 in town haha.

Anyhow i really should drag my ass off of here and go hit the spanners.

Thanks for the help fellas, i'll update my build thread later on tonight with the progress, I got some haggard mole of a woman moved back in next door so i have no reservations about banging and crashing around outside all night.

cheers. Benny