620 Drifshaft Removal HELP!!!!!!

jputz

Need some hlep fast. Maybe some ideas to get me moving in the right direction. My drive shaft in my 74 620 is stuck in the transmission and I need to remove it to replace the center support bearing. I have tried everything short of applying heat. Is there anything special that I need to try in order to remove it.

I have checked the FSM and used the search button but both are not much help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can come up with. I need this to be done tonight.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did you drop the drive line at the rear end (4 bolts/nut w/ lock washers), if so, did you unbolt the carrier bearing ( 2 bolts/ nuts), if so, it should come right on out. If you can remove it now, make sure you put a plug in where the DL was in the tranny, other wise you will loose some fluid. That tranny oil is not cheap. GL

should be 4 bolts from the read end to the drive shaft itsself, then 2 bolts holding the drive shaft to the frame at the carrier bearring. Once those are out it should just slide out

Edit: damn 420n620 beat me to it

Thanks for the replies guys...

Yeah the driveshaft is disconnected from the rear end and the carrier bearing is unbolted and it still wont budge. Tried everything I can think of and still nothing. Its soaking in BP right now so hopefully after dinner it will be looser.

Any other ideas will be appreciated.

You're kidding.... That sucker must be really in there. Maybe tap on the old carrier bearing to try and draw the driveshaft backwards?

Wish you were closer. Id love to lend a hand if I didn't have a busy schedule. :mellow: