Which Transmission is in 89 240sx

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 240sx KA24 have the later FS5W71C which does NOT bold on to the L series engines.

The FS5W71B(280zx, 720, ect) is the correct bolt-on choice.(besides x-member mods)

It is possible to swap the bellhousing with an L series FS5W71B transmission, but the FS5W71C has larger input and output shaft bearings. I don't know the exact specs but its pretty cheap($100-150) to get the L bellhousing modified to fit the FS5W71C.

its pretty easy to find all the correct information and specs to give a machine shop to mod the bellhousing.

I plan on upgrading to an FS5W71C transmission, and getting my bellhousing modified. I've heard that Ermish racing does this modification, but I have not talked to him about it yet.

With the C series trans you can use a KA short shifter, versus the older 280zx shifter which there are no aftermarket options for.

So what you're saying is....

If I buy the original 4speed (71B) and have the bellhousing machined out (bearing race ways and such) to get the "guts" of a 71C in it.....

I can see how it will bolt on there...but will I also have to modify the drive shaft length? If I can buy both transmissions for a total of $300, is this a decent way to go. Doesn't seem like there are alot of options available around here (Georgia) for spare transmissions.

So what you're saying is....

If I buy the original 4speed (71B) and have the bellhousing machined out (bearing race ways and such) to get the "guts" of a 71C in it.....

I can see how it will bolt on there...but will I also have to modify the drive shaft length? If I can buy both transmissions for a total of $300, is this a decent way to go. Doesn't seem like there are alot of options available around here (Georgia) for spare transmissions.

No the 5 speed bellhousing is the one I've heard of people doing, I don't think the 4 speed bellhousing will work properly. I could be mistaken.

Look here,

http://atlanticz.ca/...tall/index.html

^From there;

From Hybridz.org:

I found very little info on this swap, but nabbed a free KA 5 speed and started playing, the bell housing is a part of the case just like most S30 transmissions, you take the front half off the KA and put your front half onto the KA, sounds simple but there are a couple hurdles:

the aforementioned bearing needs to be swapped from the L series tranny to fit into the pocket in the front housing, its a pain to remove but goes on easy

the rod for the first second gear selector shaft is a larger diameter, it's 5/8" compared to the L series 1/2" so that has to be bored out

the KA trans is about 2 inches longer, mine is going in my early 240 which had the shorter shaft to begin with haven't measured yet hoping it's fit, it is the correct splines to go into the KA 5 speed

the mount will need to be modified, my car being one of the first series will be a bit different and yes the input splines will accept the L series clutch disk just fine and L series fork and throw-out bearing will go in as they go with the front half of the case

also a note, the early cars, had a removable bell housing, these will not work, the bolt patterns for the front half of the case is different from the later 4 speeds and KA 5 speeds so you'll need a 72 or later trans to donate the front half of the trans case, fork ,TO bearing and countershaft bearing

congratulations 5 speeds are now easy to find

On the countershaft front bearing, you'll need a puller to remove them from each transmission, the bearing from the L trans goes onto the KA countershaft with a few whacks of a mallet (soft face)

The only machining needed is to bore out the 1st-2nd shift rod to 5/8, unless he's boring out the case to use the KA's countershaft bearing, which I don't understand as the L series pops right on and of course fits the L series case

The 240sx KA24 have the later FS5W71C which does NOT bold on to the L series engines.

I'm splitting hairs here but it will bolt up but won't work. The bolt patterns are the same but in the wrong position.

With the C series trans you can use a KA short shifter, versus the older 280zx shifter which there are no aftermarket options for.

I believe you can get a shorter shift on the ZX 5 speed. I used a diesel tailstock on an older tranny to get the taller shift pin location then used a 720 shifter to match.. This moves the fulcrum point upwards which translates to a shorter input motion to get a longer output movement. Effectively the shift pattern is smaller with less travel.

Won't work on pre '80s transmissions ...

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

.... but will on the '80 and after ones with the higher fulcrum point...

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

I used the shifter on the far right. Clickety-click.

shifters003Large.jpg

• 11 months later...

Some good stuff here. I'm dropping a 5 speed from a '85 hardbody into my 620 with KA, so that I won't have to mod the drive line or anything. I went with the 18' seeing that my dogleg from before was referred to as a long tail. Have I set myself back with this one?

I've never measured a D21 trans. It's close to a 71B, but everyone I ask gives a different length number because the use a different method.

You'd better measure it. Lay on level ground and support the rear so the center line mainshaft is level and place a straight edge against the rear output. If there is a metal dust shield remove so you are against the aluminum case where the drive shaft goes in. Stretch a tape measure from the top of the bell in the front, horizontally back to the straight edge. This is one correct way to avoid a slope measurement which will always be longer. The 71B is 31.5" .... hope the 71C is close.

Au contraire mon frere,,

My son put one of these on his 5speed and the throw is about 2" total  1st to 2nd gear   There`s probably other manufacturers but don`t know who they are.. cuz he had a z trans and not zx

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PRC02A

from my fiddlings with putting the z24 in my 620 ive come down to this:

the L-series FS5w71b is bolted to the z24.  

yes, it leans the L-series trans to the driver side. basically the shifter slightly points at my leg. and ive since adjusted the shifter to how i like it anyway. 

with this said, technically any L,Z,KAe,KAde trans with bolt to any other in the list. 

with that said then, you have to be mindful of the tilt you might encounter when doing this swap. the disclaimer should say "its gonna be custom". 

on that note, id say go for it if you have the means to customize some shit, and probably get a driveline done.. 

id guess there prolly other 5 speed options that are just bolt in, but if your working with what you can get, then its up to you. 

Unless the trans mount is modified the tail will have to tilt upward as it rolls to the driver's side. Even a wedge shaped 'shim' won't correct this. You did use something to allow for the tilt, right? If not the rubber will tear away from the stress

Only the L, Z and KA have the same bolt pattern, with the Z and KA the same and the L... just rotated differently.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a 5sp on CL out of an 89 240sx (KA24) and measures 34.5 inches (not sure how he measured)

Will this bolt on to my 510's L16? Should I continue looking for a better fit. <$200 for the trans...still on a KA24 with broke rod...

You have to measure a transmission length parallel to it's length or it's center line, or as close to that as possible. Putting a tale measure on the front of the bell and pulling it back to the end of the tailstock will result in a slope distance which will ALWAYS be longer than the actual length and NEVER shorter.  A 34.5" measurement is likely the result of a sloped distance measurement.

If this is a 240sx (S13 or S14) 71C, the length is 33.24" front to back. Thank you DTP for this info. This will mean your '74 driveshaft is about 3.75" too long.

I've never measured a D21 trans. It's close to a 71B, but everyone I ask gives a different length number because the use a different method.

You'd better measure it. Lay on level ground and support the rear so the center line mainshaft is level and place a straight edge against the rear output. If there is a metal dust shield remove so you are against the aluminum case where the drive shaft goes in. Stretch a tape measure from the top of the bell in the front, horizontally back to the straight edge. This is one correct way to avoid a slope measurement which will always be longer. The 71B is 31.5" .... hope the 71C is close.

Measuring using your method, leveling and using a straight edge (I used a long level), length came to 31.5. After slotting the brace and putting the trans in, the shifter life end up with the same hole as the dogleg, and bolts up just right to the bell housing. Good trans with almost no fab work for this slot. This has been a very useful thread and I hope someone else can get good use of it as well.