Project 5Teeezy.........A Pharaoh's 510.....

Busta Nut

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have not had much time as of late for 5Teezy.......she still runs strong and has been driven from time to time......

A little over a week ago I put over 200 miles on her in 2 days........too much fun.........needs moar lows though...........in due time.......

In what little time I've had between jobs this is what's been happening.............collecting, prepping, and painting...........

Sneak peak..........

IMG_7119_zps6ce94944.jpg

IMG_7116_zpsfee11c6d.jpg

IMG_7117_zpsad12cc83.jpg

• Like 3

Midgetized...........

IMG_7139_zps6fe5dd6b.jpg

IMG_7141_zpsefe94813.jpg

I cut exactly 1 3/8" out to get these to fit like this........I could've shave the nub on the bottom of the insert to get another 1/4" but it would void the warrantee.......

............I wasn't ready to do that on these inserts.......

• Like 1

Hello, browsed your thread.  Neat project.  Actually you met my neighbor (Mike) yesterday, he stopped and grabbed your card.  Anyways, I am a long time 510 owner, and have worked in the racing industry (mainly suspension) for most of my professional career.  I noticed the split collar's that people are using to serve as the lower platform for the threaded collar when converting to 280ZX strut casings.  HORRIBLE idea!  I STRONGLY suggest that you weld a sleeve (to fit the counterbore of the GC  (i worked there when GC was in san rafael as well as Sac valley) threaded sleeve or use the steel platforms that were supplied with the C/.O kit originally (like you did with your 510 units).  I would be willing to help you with this to ensure that your ride is safe...especially since you have some precious cargo.  I pass your shop everyday as my son goes to Drake HS.  I will have a perfect pair of 280ZX units going up for sale soon as I am building an inverted strut for the front of mine....but I need them to roll the car around for now.

• Like 1

Sweet man!! Thx for checkin out my thread.....

I'm using the collars as a temp so I can figure out where exactly I want to weld the collar............help and advice is always appreciated......I feel like I'm still new to all of this......

I would love to meet up with you and BS about 510s...I feel I could learn a lot from you..........Hopefully you can make it out to the BBQ on the 26th....................I know yours won't be ready but that's no reason not to come.....hopefully we'll have a bigger turn out than the last......

Inverted strut?? Sounds pretty cool......I'd love to see pics of your build also.......start a build thread if you got the time......I understand not everyone does....or wants too...

If you ever have time....please feel free to stop by the shop.....I'm there everyday.....

I'm usually there by 7.....earlier if I'm working on something........shop doors would be shut though cuz we open @ 8......shoot me a text if you're around that early........

Im trying to figure out why its a "HORRIBLE IDEA", and not just a "not quite desirable idea". When they each can hold more than the weight of the car in axial load, and I know I have put my car through the paces without even a sign of slippage (my lower spring perch is about 3mm from resting on the tread of the tire, I cant let it slip), I just dont get the horrible part. That said, I did actually give the collars away today.

• Like 1

Im trying to figure out why its a "HORRIBLE IDEA", and not just a "not quite desirable idea". When they each can hold more than the weight of the car in axial load, and I know I have put my car through the paces without even a sign of slippage (my lower spring perch is about 3mm from resting on the tread of the tire, I cant let it slip), I just dont get the horrible part. That said, I did actually give the collars away today.

Because you dont apply spring load to a 'split sleeve collar' that is designed for a shaft.  It's the wrong application, and it's totally dangerous.  I would have to call BS on "they each can hold more than the weight of the car in axial load" without something for the collar to rest against.

It's the wrong application, and it's totally dangerous.  I would have to call BS on "they each can hold more than the weight of the car in axial load" without something for the collar to rest against.

Sorry to go off topic, but once you found a spot you liked, couldn't you just weld them on? 

Or to go next level, weld a proper coilover ring lower than the split collar so if it did ever slip it wouldn't have far to go? 

Just ruminating...

On my wagon I've flirted with the idea of using the split collar to locate the coilover sleeve for test fitting, then just welding it in place when I find the "right" spot for it...

If you have around 800lbs on a wheel, and you figure you have a max fall of a foot to be generous (hitting a bump, etc.)and half of that is arrested with the spring/shock, you will be looking at 2400lbs of force on that split collar.  

• Like 1

If you have around 800lbs on a wheel, and you figure you have a max fall of a foot to be generous (hitting a bump, etc.)and half of that is arrested with the spring/shock, you will be looking at 2400lbs of force on that split collar.  

And have you looked at the rating of  double split collars? Pick one that uses a 5/16th bolt. Its not going anywhere.

Sorry to go off topic, but once you found a spot you liked, couldn't you just weld them on? 

Or to go next level, weld a proper coilover ring lower than the split collar so if it did ever slip it wouldn't have far to go? 

Just ruminating...

On my wagon I've flirted with the idea of using the split collar to locate the coilover sleeve for test fitting, then just welding it in place when I find the "right" spot for it...

Sure, maybe to test fit, however, driving on that is a different story.

And have you looked at the rating of  double split collars? Pick one that uses a 5/16th bolt. Its not going anywhere.

LOLLERSKATES!  Dude...totally wrong application....sure ok for setting the car down on to check for final placement of a permanet fixture for the threaded sleev to sit on.  Driving on that without any support (i.e. weld bead) is balls...it's SUPER hack!