Olivia - 69 2 door 510 sedan - fully built CA18DET

Yes sir. I ended up not doing much. Too sick, but hopefully I can get some stuff done this weekend. Sounds like I may be selling my scion so ill be putting some extra money towards Olivia. Probably carpet, dash cap and some small items.

Hopefully a MIG welder fits in to that equation too :)

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Scion got impounded (it was parked for a while and i didn't realize the registration had lapsed). My HOA tows cars that don't have valid registration. The DMV NEVER sends me renewal notices for any of my cars. My record in the system is broken. Once they randomly suspended my license for no reason and i spent 18 months trying to reinstate it. The problem was that the could see it was suspended but not why and since the database records were messed up, there was nothing a local DMV office could do to fix them. They don't own the data. Anyway, that took me calling San Francisco every day for 18 months. I was on a first name basis with a lot of the people there.

Anyhow. Now i'm not going to sell it because i just have too much damn money invested in it. LOL. 

I'm going to use my tax return check for carpet and a MIG welder though. 

Olivia is running quite well. I took her to Cars and Coffee yesterday and a drive to the gym this morning. I can't understand what people are talking about when they say they have lag on a t3. I've riden in quite a few turbo cars and owned a few myself. If you select the proper turbo and compressor housing, you don't have lag. Lag is when youre turbo is the wrong size for your engine

I've been doing small things here and there, no real pictures to speak of. I flushed/refilled the gear oil in the trans. It's soooo much smoother shifting now. Night and Day.

I'll update and take some pictures (hopefully video soon). I really need to make a seat or support straps from metal for the fuel cell. It moves around while i'm driving which obviously isn't safe. So probably no driving until I do some stuff like that.

bye bye

EDIT: It turns out my car was registered. The sticker was stolen. I went to AAA and got tags reissued, then got it out of impound.

$1,200 later i have a daily driver again. I had the water pump, battery and serpentine belt replaced since i had to have it towed regardless.

I think instead of flipping my crossmember, I want to kill two birds with one stone.

Flip the oil pan, extend the pickup and put in a windage tray. I've been kicking around this idea for a while. The CA has very blocky counterweights and i'm sure since I'm enjoying high revs, there is something to be gained from knife-edging the crank and/or installing a windage tray. I don't really want to disassemble my engine to knife-edge the crank so for now I'll settle on the two things mentioned above.

Porsche has an interesting design. It's a screen that runs below the crank counter-weights.

Design%20allows%20windage%20trays%20on%2

Another custom "scraper" 

sbc_windage_tray_c.jpg

An actual tray, this one is bolted to the block

IPRT-4XE1WindageTray.jpg

Scraper in the oil pan

oil_pan_windage_tray.jpg

oil_pan_trap_door.jpg

This is more along the lines of what i was thinking though. A scraper with a tray in the pan.

DCR_POS_Windage_Tray.jpg

Project_8_Windage_Tray_02.jpg

That is, unless I can put together a dry-sump system, but I don't understand enough about how to do that (yet)

:)

Thats what i'm talking about. I know theres a way, i just don't understand everything i need. I read like a billion articles earlier in the year, and there are tons of companies that offer individual parts for DIY stuff, but i don't know how many scavenger pumps i need and stuff like that.

ya know?

Also, i think i'm going to skip the scraper and just go with a windage tray... 

Had some time today so i put on the front/rear bumpers... and to my surprise, i actually like them. When i was younger i didn't run them because i thought they were ugly. Hope you enjoy the vid. You can hear what it sounds like pretty good. I had a lot of fun for just a few seconds of messing around. Need to do some more stuff before i actually take it out and do some fun stuff.

Front

543414_4702246525714_385165519_n.jpg

Rear

23325_4702246565715_95616760_n.jpg

And then my girlfriend said she'd go to our local private property area so i could do a donut/burnout or two

I have a sinus infection and bronchitis... i'm super sick.. it's pretty lame :/

After i finished working from home today, I threw the NOS speedo cable on the gauge cluster. I got the cable from some swedish guy a while back (took like 3 fucking weeks but shipping + cable was super cheap). 

248655_4734180724049_1606460600_n.jpg

And then i installed my gauge cluster!!!! It's been out for so long! I painted all the internal black pieces satin black, the plastic is dirty and the gauge cluster housing is old. I'm going to freshen all that up and take more pictures as things progress.

230722_4734180644047_450596772_n.jpg

Heres just the cluster

538638_4734180684048_562380096_n.jpg

Does anyone know how I would go about making all the stock dash stuff looking nicer, like how it came from the factory? I don't want to just paint it. I feel like there must be some conditioning type shit or dye you can put on it to get some of the black-ness back... who's done this before? Same question for the air vents. Mine are green instead of chrome..... i've seen a 350z swap for those, which i might do if i can't fix the originals. I want to keep the dash and interior in the same era unless i go racing buckets... but the seats are all i want to swap at the max.

I may have fucked my diff when I did that. The car doesn't coast anymore when it's in neutral. The engine doesn't change rpm and it idles fine, so it's not the engine, clutch or trans. I guess I needed to get a diff that can handle the power I want to put through it anyway... I just know it won't be cheap.

No more driving until I can fix this problem... It's kind of good though since I need an excuse to stop driving it and take care of the things I need to make it nicer.

Also, I fixed a coolant leak today. I'm going to pull the intake manifold and remove all the coolant lines that aren't necessary. Might get rid of the idle air control valve while I'm at it.

Ill let ya know!

ooohhh nice, thanks guys. Are they the same size or do I need to modify them? They look extremely close to the same size

From what I've seen, the Z vents are maybe 1-2mm too small, but fit well. The Mustang/F150 vents are 1-2mm too big, but I install them from the back and they self-center very well if you keep the stock holder rings on them (just use longer mounting screws). 

Lots of good info, thanks guys. Hoping to get around to re-torquing my head bolts this coming weekend and try to move wiring from the engine bay to the interior of the car behind the dash. IDK if I will get all that done, since it's a lot of work and involves taking apart a lot of the engine and removing the wiring harness from the engine completely, but it's a good start :)

I had a coolant hose with a pinhole under the throttle body.... that took me about 2 hours to replace on Saturday. I had to remove a lot to get to it.. it was lame. Maybe while I have stuff apart i'll remove some of the unused coolant lines.

Yay!

I'd much rather keep my stuff Nissan then smear my interior with Ford crap! Hahaha

I'd rather use my RSX vents. They look exactly like the ford ones but are Japanese...

RSXVents_zps5ff410d7.jpg

Dont you have a bunch of Euro parts in your build? If they look the same and are of equal quality, I dont think it matters. They dont say Ford on them anywhere. 

Dont you have a bunch of Euro parts in your build? If they look the same and are of equal quality, I dont think it matters. They dont say Ford on them anywhere. 

Thats what you think. EVERY SINGLE FORD PART SAYS FoMoCo ON IT SOMEWHERE. EVERYTHING.

• Like 1

The only thing I can think of that is Euro are the Mirrors and HIDS (BMW) but that's going to change soon to JDM Fender Morrors. 

Maybe the front Brakes too cause they are off a Jaguar. Oh and my Personal Steering Wheel may be considered Euro

although it's made in Italy and my Recaros are made in Germany but I wouldn't call that a bunch. 

Everything else that is not Nissan is still Japanese. 

Plus, I just hate Ford. LOL!

• Like 2