69 ford van

The van at the junk yard was gone, bummer.

Here is the set of used auto meter gauges

P1000947.jpg

I will need to remove them from the bezel that they came in an make oneto fit the dash

Finally went out and put in the windshield

P1000955.jpg

Here are the tools, nothing that I would recommend, just what I used

String, a plastic butter knife, soapy water, and a couple of sticks

P1000960.jpg

#m butyl sealer for after the window is in, it seals the gasket andwindshield from water

Stays viscous. My old gasket was dry and cracking but the butyl sealerwas still soft and I had to clean it off. Hopefully this is as good as the oldtype

P1000959.jpg

I worked the windshield rubber onto the windshield. I used the plasticknife if it was stubborn. I was sort of being cheap, I think there is a tool toassist with this kind of stuff and it is probably worth the money

P1000961.jpg

Here is the windshield with the rubber installed

P1000962.jpg

I cut off a long piece of string and soaked it in the soapy water

P1000963.jpg

I worked the string into the rubber bead that fits over the sheetmetalaround where the windshield fits in

P1000965.jpg

I wind the strings together at the bottom center of the windshield,then wrap both ends around one of the sticks

P1000968.jpg

P1000970.jpg

I lifted the windshield and set it in place. I held the stick with myfingers and dropped it onto the dash before setting the windshield down. Thispicture shows the part of the gasket that is supposed to lay flat on thesheetmetal around the outside of the windshield. I had to “un-tuck” it fromunder the window. I tried to set the inner rubber bead over the sheetmetal lipthat holds the glass in. I had to screw around with it before I could startpulling the string to get the lip over the metal.

Outside

P1000972.jpg

Inside

P1000973.jpg

I had to take time once I started to “shift” the windshield into place

P1000974.jpg

P1000975.jpg

P1000976.jpg

P1000978.jpg

It took some time and patience to get it in, especially around thecorners. But I think I got it . I am still a little worried about the fit atthe corners but it is in for now

P1000979.jpg

P1000980.jpg

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took out the column on Saturday morning

Thing looked pretty bad

Just happened to find a 72 van at a "semi local" junk yard today. By semi local I mean about a 40 min drive. There is a self service chain with an online car finder system. It searches junkyards in their chain. They update irregularly and I have gone to find vans before only to have them not there. But not this time.

I picked up a column in very good shape so I can get back to it now

I will post some pics tomorrow.

This should get me jump started again on this van.

Here is the new column next to the old

P1010325.jpg

P1010328.jpg

At this point I had left the shifter in the the van for the old column, but I decided to use the complete column from the junk yard van

Here is a picture of the plate that locks the column in place on the floor, the rusted one that was in my van next to the one I picked up with the column from the junk yard

P1010329.jpg

First I removed the steering wheel from the old column, I plan to patch the cracks and paint it satin black like everything else

Here is a steering wheel puller in case you haven't ever seen one in action

First I removed the big nut that holds the steering wheel in place, then I put on the steering wheel puller. It comes with a number of paired screws, hopefully a pair fits the holes in your steering wheel. Anyway....a couple of pics.

P1010326.jpg

P1010327.jpg

The "new" column has two seals that don't come off without cutting or disassembling the column so I will paint the bottom half of the column and then slide the seals down to where they go and then paint the top half. I unscrewed the blinker switch but that may have been a waste of time, I will see. I don't want to cut off the plugs for the blinker wires and they won't go through the column so I can't take the switch all the way off. Again....pics. Here is the bottom half of the column in primer.

P1010330.jpg

I prepped and sprayed the steering wheel and the floor plate as well. While all that stuff was drying I went out to put the sealant on the windshield gasket. Messy messy messy job. Basically you need to squirt the sealant under the windshield rubber and wipe off whatever squeezes out with a ton of rags. It is very sticky and makes a hugh mess, at least when I did it.

I didn't pick up the camera while doing the work but here is a couple before pics showing the stuff I used and where I wanted to apply it.

sealant

P1010332.jpg

Where I want to put it

P1010333.jpg

P1010334.jpg

After making a big mess and then taking a long time to clean it, I managed to spray a coat of semi gloss on the bottom half of the column before I had to go get my kids from school

Here is how it looked tonight before i came up to post this

P1010338.jpg

Here is the first seal in place

P1010339.jpg

Second seal

P1010340.jpg

View of the column so far

P1010336.jpg

Here is the aluminum piece for the dash, waiting to be drilled for the gauges.

P1010023.jpg

Here is the bezel laid on top, unlike my bezel that burned in the fire, this bezel from the junkyard is steel

P1010024.jpg

More to come. Hope I don't make these posts to boring, I personally love pics so I try to take many.

Banana- I need the glove box and the defroster vent still. There is an all steel glove box door that I would be interested in if you have it.

The defroster vent "pops" out, only held in with tabs I am pretty sure. You need to remove the glove box door at the hinge and a few sheet metal screws to take out the glove box. Both are faily fragile. Let me know what you think, maybe shoot a pic? And Thanks!

Floor plate finished

P1010335.jpg

Some steering wheel shots. I sanded and cleaned it, most of the original brown had worn off. I filed the cracks open some more and discovered that someone had tried to patch the cracks in the past. This is a string of pictures. In the last pics you will see paper stuck on the JB Weld, that is so it won’t run out before it dries, the paper sands off when I shape the epoxy.

P1010351.jpg

P1010353.jpg

P1010354.jpg

P1010355.jpg

P1010356.jpg

P1010357.jpg

I picked up a seat from the van I got the column from

The driver seat pedestal is actually for the passenger side, this causes only three bolts to line up which is kind of scary.

P1010349.jpg

Also here is the drivers seat, which is actually quite comfortable despite its haggard appearance.

P1010347.jpg

My plan is to make some seat covers from a Mexican blanket so I wasn’t thinking about upholstering the seat but Here is what was in the van I just picked the column out of

P1010345.jpg

P1010346.jpg

After quick cleaning

P1010358.jpg

The passenger seat I found at U-pick-parts in North Hollywood (LA), it was $15 for the seat/frame/track, in the bay area the Pick and Pull charged me a ridiculous $56 for the same thing……they charged for each item, including the seat belt. Oh well

I sanded and put rust inhibitor on the seat frame, I don’t know if it works but I am not going to spring for sandblasting right now. After it dries 24 hours I will prime and paint it.

Seat frame primed and painted satin black

P1010361.jpg

P1010360.jpg

Here is a picture of the column, pretty much finished, waiting for the steering wheel. I need to polish the shift lever also and screw on the blinker arm

P1010364.jpg

Another detail

P1010370.jpg

P1010371.jpg

P1010379.jpg

Here is the steering wheel after sanding the epoxy, I had to reapply a thin layer as it sank into the cracks. Which is a good thing!

P1010359.jpg

Took a minute to work on the gauge panel a little. I needed to remove this “ bump” on the bezel so the bezel will sit flat on the aluminum.

P1010366.jpg

P1010368.jpg

I used a piece of tape on each side as a guide and then cut it with a cut off wheel on my grinder.

P1010372.jpg

That will be all till tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh i got the PM...it`s just been a couple of weeks of early release, band concerts, field trips, track meets and year end child placement conferences, for my sons ..even though i have went by the post office i haven`t stopped...And i didn`t want to bug you till i actually had some info..

i got all that stuff on a shelf in the garage and the only place it will go is to you.....well.....unless i forget where i put it. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Finally an update

Doing some more cleaning, decided to put some POR-15 under the dash and other spots.

P1010534.jpg

P1010535.jpg

P1010536.jpg

P1010537.jpg

I have been continuing further down the rabbit hole. After doing a small patch of the floor on the driver side I broke down and pulled off some more of the interior stuff and sanded a bigger part of the floor.

P1010539.jpg

Results

P1010540.jpg

P1010541.jpg

Now the grill comes off. I want to run the wires very neat and need to change the timing chain and a couple of other changes to the oil filter location and trans mission cooler.

P1010542.jpg

Work shop getting cluttered

P1010553.jpg

Water pump and new timing chain

P1010543.jpg

The old chain and all the mess caused by a front seal which had turned brittle and cracked away

P1010545.jpg

The crank sprocket would not slip off so I had to make a tool to fit on my slide hammer. I used a ½ fine thread bolt and used the grinder to make a notch in in that slipped onto the teeth of the sprocket. Worked well……I tried a bent nail first. Bent nail = fail.

P1010547.jpg

P1010546.jpg

Here is the new timing chain installed. I don’t know if you can tell but I cleaned up the engine as well.

P1010549.jpg

The balancer shaft is scored so I bought a sleeve to repair it

P1010550.jpg

P1010551.jpg

P1010552.jpg

The camera battery died so no installed pic….sorry

Timing cover back on after much cursing and screwing around. It was very hard to fit it back over the oil pan with the new oil pan seal in place.

P1010554.jpg

Water pump on, front of engine painted

P1010555.jpg

Balancer reinstalled

P1010556.jpg

Now the top of the engine

P1010557.jpg

That is all for now, been sick and my son has been sick for the last few days so no progress.

• 2 months later...

Work is proceeding slower than I hoped......gee, I am sure no one else can relate!

New alternator

P1010731.jpg

I made the dash insert for the gauge cluster

First I screwed the aluminum to a large board

P1010883.jpg

P1010886.jpg

To the drill press Robin!

P1010887.jpg

Luckily I have some WD 40 in my utility belt

P1010888.jpg

P1010889.jpg

P1010891.jpg

P1010895.jpg

I still need to drill three holes for the blinker and high beam indicator LEDs

Couple of shots of the completely unecessary Streetmaster intake. Picked it up at a swap meet cheap. I wasn't going to put it on but it is easier than trying to clean the top of the engine........at least that is what i tell myself.

P1010893.jpg

P1010894.jpg

P1010919.jpg

Don't like the Mr Gasket adapter, will make my own if time allows.

Here is a pic of a vent from Banana here on Ratsun....I am lagging on sending him the postage........It is coming!

It needs work but it is better than nothing!

P1010897.jpg