L18 to L20b

Bugeye

I have a spare L18 thats in my parts truck, I was wanting to rebuild it as a spare for my 79, but my 79 has an L20B in it, are the blocks the same or does the L18 have a different stroke? What Im wanting to do is rebuild the L18 into the L20. The reason for wanting to to this is my L20b has 290k on it and at 300k I want to rebuild the engine, but I need another engine in it to drive around as this is my daily driver, what kind of advice can you guys give me on this?

Thanks

Donnie

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the l18 hasnt run in i say about 17 years...it needs to be rebuilt too, but here in good old cali i cant legally (sp?) put the L18 in the truck. all I can find are L20 rebuild kits, would L20 rods and Pistions on an L18 Crank work??? This is just so I can drive the truck while I rebuild the org engine

The L18 and the L20B are the same bore however the L20B block is 20mm taller and L20B piston and rods would be just under 5cm too tall for the L18 block. Unfortunately the L18 main bearings are also a different diameter than the L20B block so the crank won't swap anyway.

You have it smogged, throw the L18 in and run it while building up the L20B before the next test.

thats what i was planning on doing, but I need to rebuild the L18 first and cant find any kits like I can for the L20..all I want to do with the L18 for the time is put new bearings and rings in it, just so I can drive it. by kit I mean the kind of rebuild kit that JC Whitney sells....(by no means am I going to use it when I rebuild the L20 though)

The thing is about the picknpull in stockton is they never have any datsuns, its all toyotas, when I had my toyota it was the other way around, plus i want to keep the org engine in the truck...it is all 100% org numbers matching...Im kinda picky like that...comes from building old mopars..but as a driver engine for now that would work while I rebuild the Org one.

The thing is about the picknpull in stockton is they never have any datsuns, its all toyotas, when I had my toyota it was the other way around, plus i want to keep the org engine in the truck...it is all 100% org numbers matching...Im kinda picky like that...comes from building old mopars..but as a driver engine for now that would work while I rebuild the Org one.

L18 kits are still available.

We just completed one.

If you need want another L20b block to start your rebuild then I have one.

Would like to trade it with your L18.

I'm in Fremont if your interested.

Im kinda picky like that...comes from building old mopars..but as a driver engine for now that would work while I rebuild the Org one.

Oh God, not you too.:rolleyes: I started out with my 75 Datsun, then got into Mopar(60 dodge stepside,73 Dart swinger w/ a 340, 75 SB P/U with a "warmed over" 360:D and a couple of Dusters). I got out of the Mopar stuff in the mid-'90s when Prices went nuts and there were a rash of fake # matching cars.

I'd still loooooove to have a Challenger though. Purple.:cool:

I still have the orig. blocks for both of my Datto's, but the 75 is no longer "restoration quality::D

L18 kits are still available.

We just completed one.

If you need want another L20b block to start your rebuild then I have one.

Would like to trade it with your L18.

I'm in Fremont if your interested.

we can do that, i still need to yank the 18 out of the parts rig, its complete minus the carb

Oh God, not you too.:rolleyes: I started out with my 75 Datsun, then got into Mopar(60 dodge stepside,73 Dart swinger w/ a 340, 75 SB P/U with a "warmed over" 360:D and a couple of Dusters). I got out of the Mopar stuff in the mid-'90s when Prices went nuts and there were a rash of fake # matching cars.

I still have the orig. blocks for both of my Datto's, but the 75 is no longer "restoration quality::D

my first dodge was 50 truck my dad and I started, but never finished, the second was the 69 charger, still pissed my cousin totaled it, the third was a 62 lancer, the fourth was a 48 dodge truck when i was in san diego, got it running a sold it, and now back the the 50 truck my cousin and I are building

Oh God, not you too.:rolleyes: I started out with my 75 Datsun, then got into Mopar73 Dart swinger w/ a 340,

What was the 340 originally out of? I bought a new '70 340 Dart in the day. A buddy at work had a '70 six pac 440 Challenger same color. Damn those were fun times!

couldn't tell you, I got it out of a body shop in town, where there was a late 50's plymouth with a hemi 318 in it, it was the first time I had seen one. The 340 was on a stand right next to it. the 318 out of the Dart went into my friends '73 longbed that he built up and dynoed 413rwhp. That truck was a monster, but the motor really deserved to be in something with a little more grip.

What was the 340 originally out of? I bought a new '70 340 Dart in the day. A buddy at work had a '70 six pac 440 Challenger same color. Damn those were fun times!

dont quote me on it, but im pretty sure the 340 came in the duster...along with the 225 slant 6..that was a bullet proof engine, I couldnt blow mine up after trying several times

well...im an idiot..something told me to double check the parts rig...what I thought was an L18 is really an L16 according to the vin plate under the hood...I am going to see if the engine numbers match that of the plate...is there any way to tell by the numbers on the block what size the engine is?