280Z: Changing windshield and hatch glass seals.

Hardwyre

Just ordered the seal kit from MSA, should be here by the end of the week (hopefully). How hard is it to change out the seals for the windshield and hatch glass on a 280Z? I was trying to just put a little sealant on my old seals and when I was removing the chrome trim, the tiny little lip that holds it in place started tearing off, so I'm pretty sure the seals on the car now are shrunk, old, and/or rotted. I'm really hoping the new seals don't tear at the trim like these are. Anyone have experience with changing these seals? Bonus points for being in the Portland/Vancouver area.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything like the 510 windshield, or cargo windows, its cake.

New seal vs old is no comparison. New is soft and pliable, no splitting. But do make sure to use lots of soapy water when inserting trim.

Place seal around window. Put rope in the groove for the flange, starting the middle of the rope at the bottom. Run both sides up, and then have them cross at the top.

Now place the window over the flange where it is intended to be installed, make sure the ends of the rope made it inside. I placed a tire on the window to add some weight. Start pulling one of the rope ends. You should see the seal pulling over the metal flange.

Dont be afraid to keep trying/ just dont torque the glass...

• Like 3

Get a second hand ...for reals

Make sure cowl isn't rusted through and leaking ... also plan on sealing and painting/treating sealing sufrace and possible detroriated metal ....

No prying ...

Expect to cut out ...first

New seals will probably be solid ... no center trim ... solid black... i believe?

If lots of trouble .. get a company with a good warranty and have them do it

bummer, no bonus points

It's V-day, I gave chocolates to a random cute redhead at the hardware store, so you get points anyways!

Iv got 2 or 3 sheets stashed away soley saved for when someone else brakes it changing the seal :lol:

I think that makes my anxiety break even. :)

It's V-day, I gave chocolates to a random cute redhead at the hardware store, so you get points anyways!

after you give it too her and she doesnt give you a dirty/creeped out look...

thats your cue to ask her to dinner.... not bolt out the door :lol: