320 gearing related questions ???

Hi all,

I'm going to be picking up my nl 320 around April and I'm looking to get some highway friendly gearing happening. I'm going to be installing an R16 engine into it.

Do any of you know A: the gearing on a R16 4 speed tranny?,

B: the gearing on a 69 510 4 speed tranny?,

C: whether or not the 69 4 speed tranny will bolt to the R 16 without modification?, and

D: whether or not the the subi lsd diffs can be hooked up to the 320's and how much modification if any would be nessasary to accomplish this?

Since right now I'm contemplatingdry.gif, and I'd like to bebiggrin.gif any and all technical help with this one will be supercool.gif, Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A. The highway gear (4th) is exactly the same with the R16 4-speed and the original 320 4-speed. No difference.

B. Ditto for a 1969 510 4-speed

C. 510 transmission does not bolt to R16 engine

D. IRS differential does not bolt up to a 320. You can swap them in but it will take more than minor modifications. Anything is possible given enough time, money or know-how.

What you need is a lower rear end gear to reduce RPMs on the highway. I have no idea what the 320 used in the back but it was an H-190. These come in 3.364, 5.545, 3.70, 3.889, 4.11, 4.375, 4.625 and 4.875 (at lest) The side gears in your 320 will have 13 spline to match the axles. Most other H-190s will be either 23 or 29 spline so you will have to swap them. A not impossible job for the average person. This will improve mileage but reduce overall performance.

An elegant solution is a 5 speed where there is an overdrive gear for mileage but the rear end stays the same so that performance is unaffected. The R16 can be fitted with a 720 5 speed with some work.

R16 Roaster with 4 speed

R-16and4speedF4W63.jpg

The top transmission is from a 720 diesel, note the position of the starter matched the R16 position.

RoadsterfrontDieselBack.jpg

SD25 bell bolt pattern

SDandRoadsterbellcompare002Large.jpg

R16 4 speed bell bolt pattern

SDandRoadsterbellcompare001Large.jpg

It will take some work mixing and matching clutch arms, release bearing collars and such but doable I believe.

Here's another. A diesel front case grafted to the FS5W71C 5 speed from a D-21 Hardbody by the look of it.

RoadsterwithSDbellandFS5W71Ctranny.jpg

Try asking http://community.rat.../60-ppeters914/.for info.

Gearing for the R16 and 510 4 speeds are the same, transmissions are totally different ....

R16 4 speed

510 sedan 4 speed (all years)

1st..... 3.382

2nd.... 2.013

3rd..... 1.312

4th..... 1.00

Rev... 3.364

I suppose so. Won't be a lot around because they were used heavily for racing. An L bell was made so they would fit the L24 in the Z car that desperately needed a 5 speed. Parts are now mostly made out of unobtainium alloy. Last one I heard of went for around $750 and that was cheap and it worked! Twice that would be reasonable for a rebuildable one.

An R block is going to be a tight fit in there, I suppose if one can get ahold of the water pump used in the 411s it might fit, but I am still doubtfull without some hacking.

There is 23 inches from the firewall to the radiator face touching on both ends, I don't have the R block dementions anymore as I have a U20 in my roadster now, and I also don't know how much shorter the 411SSS water pump is, compared to the stock R block roadster water pump.

This will be interesting, as the R16 is easier to get ahold of these days, but the parts are still expensive.

BTW, there is a block out there called a H20, which is basicly a R block, but a 2000cc engine, used in forklifts I beleave.

As far as I know, all the 320s from at least 63 on came with 488 gearsets, if you want to change your rear gearing, it is not that difficult, Mike did an article about it in the "how to" section I beleave, or if you ask, I can walk you threw it.

320s used 4.88s, at least in the US. It's an H190 but not the SAME H190 as used in 520s, 620s, 720s, etc. Different splines than anything else, but that can be rectified by changing the side gears.

Found this old post on the vintage datsun site on yahoo if it intersts yo

Den,

If you have a 4:88 or 4:62 R&P, and you'd like a 3:90 for better freeway

cruising, then I guess you're looking for me. We (Sloan Racing) have done

this swap for several on the list and they all seem to like the results.

The swap is free; you pay postage one way, we pay postage back. All we need

it a complete carrier assembly, in good condition. If your gear are bad,

broken, or severely worn, then there would be a charge for the 3.90 gears.

Write me back off list for details. 9LASER3@...

Paul

Ohio

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:ClassicDatsunPickups@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dencon5

Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2008 12:12 AM

To: ClassicDatsunPickups@yahoogroups.com

Subject: [ClassicDatsunPickups] transmittions and rear ends

Hi again anybody know if we can adapt an automatic to our little 320,s

whant to kind of modify it for thr grandaughter also any info on the

rear end gear swap the guy,s name that takes our pot and gives us a

higher geard one.Thx. Den