Random wires needing a home???

strang3majik

Hey everyone...

I'm installing all new harnesses in my 510 since the originals were toast...but...on the original tail harness, there was a blue wire that connected to the dash harness that isn't there on this tail section...also...on the original, there is one plug under the driver's seat that wasn't plugged into anything and two beneath the passenger's seat, but, once again, on this new harness they're not there.

Any idea what all that is?

Its a 72 510 sedan...the new harness is supposedly out of a 71-72 sedan as well. Looking on a diagram, that blue wire doesn't exist nor do the wires under the seats, however, the female end is on the new dash harness for that blue wire???

Any ideas?

For a better description, where the dash harness meets the tail harness...

New Dash Harness -

Two white plugs

Green-yellow (brake light)

Blue

New Tail harness -

Two white plugs

Green-yellow

Both the old harnesses have the blue wire and it was plugged in???

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I cant answer your question, but i will say an electronic labeler ... is worth its weight in gold and helped me trace through entire car wiring harnesses in the past ... :) ... this may or may not help, but sure makes things nicer, neater, and less confusing period.

Good luck!

I figured it out...went to what looks like was once a light in the trunk...which is no longer existent, just the mount for it.

Also, the plug for the tail harness was 6 wires on the dash side, only 4 on the tail side. All the wires corresponded to the same pin on the 4 prong plug, so, I made an adapter from the old trash harness connectors and blocked off the other two wires (which were the ones that lead under the seats). Seat belt buzzers maybe?

But, it all looks fine now. Didn't get the engine harness in yet, but, all looks to match up to the old one, so...hopefully its okay. No burned wires on the new stuff, thank god...lol

Sedan and wagon harnesses are different. I have a feeling the harness you got from quik was a wagon harness.

Pretty sure it is a sedan harness. I didn't part out any wagons until the 2 I just got this past year. One was 68 and the other is a 71 that I am keeping the harness from as a spare for my 2 door wagon.

So all the harnesses I had were from 2 doors or 4 doors.

I will make sure Tyler has what he needs to get this car back on the road. He is working so hard to put it together, I will do what I can to help.

Pretty sure it is a sedan harness. I didn't part out any wagons until the 2 I just got this past year. One was 68 and the other is a 71 that I am keeping the harness from as a spare for my 2 door wagon.

So all the harnesses I had were from 2 doors or 4 doors.

I will make sure Tyler has what he needs to get this car back on the road. He is working so hard to put it together, I will do what I can to help.

Ah ok, I was going off of knowing you just parted some wagons, that is all.

Nah...if it was a wagon harness, it should have one for the hatch light or something according to the wiring diagrams I've found.

Looks like its the right one. Also, the lead for the gas tank sender was the same length as the old one and all...just lacked the under seat wires and the one for the trunk light.

Whatever the one that was under the seat was...it looked like it shorted out against the floor...lol

But, really, a starter interlock?

I don't think there was a starter interlock. I think there was a seat belt wire that hooked into the buzzer to let you know the seat belt was not fastened. But I think that was on the 73 models. Anyone know for sure?

The 510 never had a trunk light. I think the mount you see in the trunk could have been for a light someone added or a switch for an alarm.

I have found that many previous owners have adapted the wiring on these cars. Following a good color wiring diagram will let you know what was factory or not.

Ok...got all the harnesses in tonight and applied power to it via the white wire under the hood...now I'm more confused then ever.

First off, there is no ignition switch behind the key switch, so, I found a diagram showing what wires at the ignition switch plug see power in different key cycles, so, I took power from the white wire with a red stripe and applied it to the blue/black and black/white as they would be in the on position...and...mostly everything worked.

However...my taillights/tag lights work, markers do no, but, may just be the bulbs or something...

but, anyway, my dash lights do no work whenever the lights are on, but, if I shut the lights off, they are on, and, with the wiper switch on, they remain on, and get a little brighter. Also, the wiper motor does not operate, nor does the heater fan. I swapped the fuse out with a few different ones, all to no avail.

Next, behind the radio, there is a mess of wires. I'm not sure what goes to the radio (besides the blue one), but, every wire behind the radio has power...even the black wires.

I've been looking at a diagram, and it has been correct almost this entire way, but, here, there are more wires than on the diagram, and...I still have the dash light issue.

Theres also a couple confusing ones under the hood that aren't on the diagram, but, I'll save those for later.