68 520, Need more horsepower!

Hello, I have a project going with a 68 520 pickup. I have the stock motor in it which is just too weak. I would like to replace it with something more powerful. Im looking to keep the gas mileage good and not looking to make it super fast or anything, I drive canyon roads quite a bit and just need a little extra juice. Is their any older Datsun motor that is compatible, so I would not have to make new engine mounts or get a new tranny? If not any recomendations on a kit? Any suggestions on replacement motors(or possible upgrades to the current motor for extra horsepower) are much appreciated I'm pretty much clueless at this point. Thanks! -Andrew

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I have a project going with a 68 520 pickup. I have the stock motor in it which is just too weak. I would like to replace it with something more powerful. Im looking to keep the gas mileage good and not looking to make it super fast or anything, I drive canyon roads quite a bit and just need a little extra juice. Is their any older Datsun motor that is compatible, so I would not have to make new engine mounts or get a new tranny? If not any recomendations on a kit? Any suggestions on replacement motors(or possible upgrades to the current motor for extra horsepower) are much appreciated I'm pretty much clueless at this point. Thanks! -Andrew

No. The later PL521 had an L16 motor and the same transmission but it has a bolt pattern for the L series motor and yours would not fit it. I believe there is a J15 motor used in the 620s in Central America. Lot of trouble for a small gain. The 1800 motor in an MG may fit... again way too much trouble. Also with any larger motor swap your 4.88 rear end would be a MPG liability and would need changing also.

I would find a mid '70s to '80 L20B and 5 speed from a 620 and make it fit. I had a '71 521 and swapped an L20B in. The original motor was an L16 but this one pulled pretty good. Yes you would have to change the motor/trans mounts.

No. The later PL521 had an L16 motor and the same transmission but it has a bolt pattern for the L series motor and yours would not fit it. I believe there is a J15 motor used in the 620s in Central America. Lot of trouble for a small gain. The 1800 motor in an MG may fit... again way too much trouble. Also with any larger motor swap your 4.88 rear end would be a MPG liability and would need changing also.

I would find a mid '70s to '80 L20B and 5 speed from a 620 and make it fit. I had a '71 521 and swapped an L20B in. The original motor was an L16 but this one pulled pretty good. Yes you would have to change the motor/trans mounts.

Thanks for all responses; datzenmike: Any suggestions on web sites or locations near LA where I can check out or buy a L20B and/or 5 speed from a 620?