What voltage to choke heater?

BOZO

I recently installed an electric choke Weber progressive carburetor on my 1974 620. I dont think the electric choke is operating properly. The wire running to the choke reads 12 volts, but when the wire is connected to the choke heater, it reads 0 volts. I'm thinking I have a bad choke heater relay, bad connection or wiring. Am I on the right track? Does the choke heater receive a full 12 volts when the ignition is on or does the engine need to be running to energize the field? Currently the engine starts fine and idles when cold and also idles well when up to operating temp when the choke is blocked open. This is a brand new carburetor and everything has adjusted to proper parameters by the tuning instructions. Aside from this choke problem, this is a excellent carburetor. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The electric choke takes 12V. The choke relay takes something different as datsunaholic said it's powered by the alternator.

The wire running to the choke reads 12 volts, but when the wire is connected to the choke heater, it reads 0 volts.

That is not caused by the choke. You may have a loose/corroded wire, or the relay is cutting out, or something else. Trace the wire back checking the voltage all the way until you find out where it stops. You might find that the relay is not activating.