521 l20b

The datsun kid

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use all your manifolds. You will need to alter the downpipe as it will hit the trans bellhousing due to the L20 being 3/4" taller. You will need the 6 bolt L20 flywheel & you should buy a NEW clutch kit while you have it out.

hey fellas so i have the chance to get a l20b for cheap and i was wondering if i can just drop it in with my four speed i have now im running a l16 with a 4 speed in a 71' 521 the l20 was out of a truck so i need my oil pan for clearence but what else do i need as far as flywheel? clutch? thanks fellas

Depends on the year of that L20. According to datzenmike 74's are 5 bolt cranks, 75+ 6 bolt~ you'd need flywheel/clutch ass'y for the latter, using your old TO, fork, etc. Then there's the whole 200/225mm thing that I don't have commited to memory as yet...:blink:

hey fellas so i have the chance to get a l20b for cheap and i was wondering if i can just drop it in with my four speed i have now im running a l16 with a 4 speed in a 71' 521 the l20 was out of a truck so i need my oil pan for clearence but what else do i need as far as flywheel? clutch? thanks fellas

If the L20B is from a truck the oil pan may work but the L16 one will for sure so no worries. The truck L20B will have a 225mm clutch and pressure plate and the flywheel is 6 bolt, yours is 5 bolt so you have to keep it. Now the problem is you have a 200mm clutch and PP and your release bearing collar or housing is sized to it and won't match the L20B's 225mm. All you need is the proper 225mm release bearing collar and it's a go.

I swapped an L20B into my 521 back in the mid '70s and I had no problem clearing the exhaust, it's only 3/4" higher than the L16 so bend it.

new clutch kit for the l20

Not quite. L20B used different clutches. Get the one for the same year & model the engine came out of. L20 clutch is the wrong one, so get L20B.

Then get the correct release bearing SLEEVE as Mike talked about. the release bearing is the same for all, even or non-L-series. But the sleeves come in different sizes.