BIG JOHNSON'S LITTLE DATSUN: 67' 520 Build

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The MX520 Build, the nicest 520 around and the inspiration for anybody who ISN'T going to body-drop and bag their pickup. Thanks for posting pictures. I was going to go find your thread, wanted to see if you smoothed out all the dimples created from the spot welds on the bed sides. Appears that you did. I plan on fabricating a rollpan similar to what you have going on there. As far as color, we are thinking the silver/gray that is on the new GTR's and maybe some BRE look alike stripes in satin black

It took me weeks to finally choose a color. The first decision I made was no metallic. I don't think metallic paint does justice to vintage Japanese vehicles, it makes them look awkward, too new. There are some great new paint colors out there now that are non-metallic, just start looking around. I was on the fence with the Aviator Grey from the Audi TT, that is a sweet color and I think it would look Beautiful on a vintage Datsun! What we did was paint a spare hood that they had laying around at the body shop, then look at it inside under fluorescent light and then carry it outside to see it in the sun light. This will surprise you at how one looks good and the other will not. Take your time this is the single biggest decision you will make for your baby! ;)

It took me weeks to finally choose a color. The first decision I made was no metallic. I don't think metallic paint does justice to vintage Japanese vehicles, it makes them look awkward, too new. There are some great new paint colors out there now that are non-metallic, just start looking around. I was on the fence with the Aviator Grey from the Audi TT, that is a sweet color and I think it would look Beautiful on a vintage Datsun! What we did was paint a spare hood that they had laying around at the body shop, then look at it inside under fluorescent light and then carry it outside to see it in the sun light. This will surprise you at how one looks good and the other will not. Take your time this is the single biggest decision you will make for your baby! ;)

Yea I'm still up in the air on paint. I am starting to lean more vintage, and stray away from new colors. Latest idea, is a satin red body with a gloss black hood. A twist on the old muscle car era. I hope you don't mind I used your truck as a platform for my photoshopping.

a6898f42-a8b4-5316.jpg

Really liking this truck. You are doing a killer job & I totally agree about not using Metallic paints on old Datsuns. Taboo as far as Im concerned. I have a chance to get one of these single hedlite rigs & seeing this has made me hunger for it :P

Stick around, they might end up for sale ;)

So much coin to get those sent over here to me mate. I'll pm you if you are serious about offloading those rims. Would be a rare sight in AUS & make my truck and me very happy! Would be beneficial to remove existing rubber and crate rims to send.... Let me know if we can talk about this. I have traded with other users from Ratsun to vouch for my validity in following thru on transactions...

Great work on the truck btw, 620 tailies! Nice!!

• 1 year later...