BIG JOHNSON'S LITTLE DATSUN: 67' 520 Build

(Seems that my original thread was in the wrong sections. Sorry for being a noob.)

1967 Datsun 520 Pickup I found like locally in KS. I believe I am the 3rd owner since it made its maiden voyage to the Midwest.

I'm trying to gain knowledge on the pickup as fast as possible to help me better understand the following and culture in the Datsun world. I plan on using this to haul my 2004 Suzuki Hayabusa to the track and home. It'll also make it out to local car shows etc once its finished. It's in pretty decent shape; i.e. solid floors, bed, rails, etc. Unfortunately the cancer has got to the lower parts of the front fenders. blink.gif

Needless to say after thinking I was getting one heck of a deal, I found the damage to the fenders. BUT on the bright side, the cab, bed, and floors are solid.

The interior has been updated, has seats out of a first gen civic (or so the previous build thread claims), sound dampening material and new carpet.

Western Turbines, powder coated satin black fit the truck pretty well, IMO. cool.gif

Has the original J13 and 4 speed (rebuilt) number matching motor too!

The truck is also lowered about 3" all the way around. The springs were de-arched in the rear, and simply just cranked down the torsion bars upfront.

Plans for truck: paint and body work, tint, stereo of some sort, and motor swap KA, SR, VG? Haven't found much info on that topic yet.

I apologize for the picture quality. I took them on my phone at night

FIRST THING on the list will be addressing the rust, getting it blocked, and in primer ready for paint. I'm liking the wheels so they will stay black, for paint I'm thinking a charcoal or similar color. If it goes dark I will give the windows some treatment too.

a6898e66-1315-b7b4.jpg

a6898e66-1441-5bfd.jpg

a6898e66-145c-f79d.jpg

a6898e66-148b-963c.jpg

a6898e66-149d-28b3.jpg

a6898e66-14af-debb.jpg

a6898e66-14f4-5112.jpg

This truck was owned by a former member here on the forum. It was not who I purchased the truck from though. The build thread was kind of hard to follow, hopefully you don't find that of mine.

If you want to know more about the truck before it became to be mine feel free to browse through the previous thread about this truck Previous Build Thread Link

ENJOY

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was super excited to start the body work on this old 520. It looked solid from my first inspection. Just a little bit of rust on the fenders. WELL... It was must worse than we thought. Fenders are packed full of bondo O_o I don't understand why people can't fix things instead of covering them up and making things worse for people that come into later down the road.

I'm currently on the search for some new fenders. Whomever painted this made their own body lines to tie into the hood on these fenders.

IMG_4552.jpg

Lets get started!

IMG_4562.jpg

Got to love batteries

IMG_4566.jpg

We got the front end torn down

IMG_4558.jpg

This I was expecting

IMG_4559.jpg

BUT THIS?!?! O_o

IMG_4560.jpg

AND THIS!?!

IMG_4575.jpg

Took a wire wheel to the inner fenders

IMG_4576.jpg

This can't hurt

Nice truck. I see the vin plate says 1967 but that is a rare single headlight 1966. I have one too, mine also says 1967 on the vin plate but is also a single headlight '66. Check out my build here

The MX520 Build, the nicest 520 around and the inspiration for anybody who ISN'T going to body-drop and bag their pickup. Thanks for posting pictures. I was going to go find your thread, wanted to see if you smoothed out all the dimples created from the spot welds on the bed sides. Appears that you did. I plan on fabricating a rollpan similar to what you have going on there. As far as color, we are thinking the silver/gray that is on the new GTR's and maybe some BRE look alike stripes in satin black cool.gif

I didn't realize that the single headlights were rare; I'm glad I snagged a pickup with them!

I haven't decided what to do with the mirrors yet. I've been looking at some JDM 240 mirrors, could be cool? :Dunno:

PROJECT UPDATE: On 2/7/12 I got the outer portion of the wheel wells prepped, and undercoated. On a previous night I had took a wire brush to it and sprayed it with rust preventative.

Picture809.jpg

Picture808.jpg

Picture812.jpg

^ That one run is going to bother me... Good things its getting covered up for the most part by the fender

Picture811.jpg

In the process of tracking down new fenders so at this point we are jumping around.

Got the engine bay prepped an sprayed with rust killer. Next step is body work and paint

a6898ec6-b23f-b832.jpg

a6898ec6-b258-028c.jpg

Some time in its life they slapped a ton of body filler in the corner of the door.

a6898ec6-b287-e952.jpg

The cancer and the patch I made. It's larger to wrap around to the inner portions of the door.

a6898ec6-b2b0-85db.jpg

I'm proud of my work. I don't so this often. I don't think my customers at SPECS will appreciate my newly torn up/dirty hands.

FYI' date=' I brought that truck to ICT at least a couple of years ago from Western Kansas. I found it on Craigslist and the story I was told on it was a hippie from California was driving across country and it broke down in KS. From there he traded it off at a dealership and went on his way. The truck had a Washington St. title at some point in time prior to it residing in Cali. I bought it from the dealer in KS and kept it for a few weeks before deciding I was too tall to fit in the truck so up for sale it went. My plan was a full custom tube frame suspension and a some type of late model turbo 4cyl. engine, ie: Solstice, etc...[/quote']

It is always neat learning the history of a vehicle. Thanks for the information :up:

I got a few more pictures of the project, again I apologize they are off of my iPhone. The only camera I have is my nice digital slr. Don't like it being out in the garage.

a6898c10-032f-7729.jpg

Tape removed. Paint Dry. Results, very nice for not pulling the motor out.

a6898c10-0368-dcaa.jpg

Filling unnecessary holes in the front bumper with scrap metal from the rear bumpers we are ditching

a6898c10-0837-a654.jpg

a6898c10-084e-4868.jpg

a6898c10-0862-3afa.jpg

Still needs a little work. I'll bust out the files

a6898c10-0887-e314.jpg

Hit the whole bumper with the grinding disc and the da. Getting it ready for powder coat