help new to datsun for me DIESEL

so my uncles friend is selling a 1980 datsun diesel pickup xtracab for 2500, the guy text me some pics and says it runs good and looks pretty clean the rear bumper is bent a lil but other then that its straight, im a chevy guy mostly old cars.... anyways i dont know much about this truck pretty much nothing about them, i love diesel trucks so this is why im thinking about buying it, he wants $2500 for it and he claims its like 1 of 2 in california which i think sis bull.... i currently have a 89 crx as my daily driver since i drive about 60 miiles round triip to work but if i could i would love this truck.... are these trucks fuel injected or carburated? what kind of MPG's do they get? are parts hard to get like at autozone or pepboys incase something brakes????? any help would be helpful thanks in advance

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The definition of a "Diesel" is : direct injection, compression ignition

sounds like he wants abit much... and as for "1 of 2" in cali... dry.gif i highly doubt it... but i have no proof

mpg's depend on your right foot, drivetrain losses, ect... also is it a sd22 or sd25 diesel motor?

also after looking for 5 mins " In the American market the diesel engine was only available in the 2WD (from 1982 to 1985)" but also states that the diesel option was first avail in 81.

The definition of a "Diesel" is : direct injection, compression ignition

sounds like he wants abit much... and as for "1 of 2" in cali... dry.gif i highly doubt it... but i have no proof

mpg's depend on your right foot, drivetrain losses, ect... also is it a sd2.2 or sd2.5 diesel motor?

Well assuming it's stock it'll probably be the SD22, since the SD25 was in the '83+.

(From what I read, I've no solid knowledge)

Well assuming it's stock it'll probably be the SD22, since the SD25 was in the '83+.

(From what I read, I've no solid knowledge)

yeah but from what i just saw, "1979.5-1980 models were powered by a datsun l20b." and that the sd22 didnt become avail until 81...

huh.gif

same here... i have no solid knowledge on this truck... just looking on the net, and searching the forum

yeah but from what i just saw, "1979.5-1980 models were powered by a datsun l20b." and that the sd22 didnt become avail until 81...

huh.gif

same here... i have no solid knowledge... just looking on the net, and searching the forum

I read the same thing, and then followed it up with "The SD22 was used in the Datsun 720 pickup trucks from 1980 through 1983." so all information here is a cluster-f. dry.gif

how can i tell what motor is on it? how do i know if its a sd22 or a sd25? i thought it was a lil too much for what hes asking i was thinking about 1500 but i also dont want to low ball the guy..... then again just google these trucks and ive seen them sell for as cheap as 400 bucks so idk if i would pay the 2500 for it

how can i tell what motor is on it? how do i know if its a sd22 or a sd25? i thought it was a lil too much for what hes asking i was thinking about 1500 but i also dont want to low ball the guy..... then again just google these trucks and ive seen them sell for as cheap as 400 bucks so idk if i would pay the 2500 for it

valve cover would say SD22 or SD25... or possibly even something completely different if the motor is something different

Yes there is a stamp on the engine behind the injection pump(pass. side) beside the soft plug, it is really deep down there.

You will likely be going to look at a SD22 powered truck, as SD25s are rare in the states.

DSCN0550.jpg

What are you looking for in one of these diesel trucks?

They are only 61hp if everything is mechanicly good on the engine, 70mph is just about top speed, and they are not easily turbocharged, as the throddle is controled by a vacuum system.

I will say this, the truck should start and shut off with the ignition key only, and the light on the dash should tell you when to start it by turning off automaticly, if you have to do anything else to start it, it is not worth $2500.00, if you have to push a button, or pull a cable to start it, it's not worth that much money.

I have bought running diesel trucks for $250.00 that started and turned off properly, anything else is a jury rigged truck.

They get about 25mpg in the city, and about 36mpg on the hiway at 60mph, if you can keep your foot out of the pedal, otherwise you will get about 28mpg at 70mph, this is dependant on the engine working properly.

They are not a hotrod, if you want to go fast, this is not the vehicle you want, drive up a significant hill on the hiway before you buy it.