Little Miss Sunshine

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyler i really enjoy catching an update on this so frequently. Especially fun because of what you started with and how far it has come in short time. Wish i had that fire that you do. Hell I bought my 510 a year and a half ago and I have drivin it around my yard once in that time.

Yes, good seeing you David...haha The "junkyard" is quite helpful :P

But, the shifter itself isn't whats hitting, its the actual moving part on the transmission that the shifter attaches to. I'll get a pic.

And, thanks everyone...I'm trying...lol I'm going to try and get the engine running tonight...it won't be moving itself yet, but...I want to be able to start it :P It makes the car feel that much more complete when I can get in, hit the key, and actually hear the starter run...hahah. But, she's got fresh Rotella dinosaur oil in her with a new filter...just need to hook the fuel lines up and put the radiator/hoses in. I used my air compressor and blew air through the heater core...to my amazement, not only did coolant come out, green, clean coolant. So it might be okay after all :)

Also...I think I may have found a replacement for the gas tank filler tube :D It involves some Conquest TSI parts, but...hey, its what I have laying around...more on that later.

Was ther flatening agent added to your paint? The eurathane primer I use on my high end builds has more shine

It was acrylic enamel out of a spray can...I wasn't expecting too much shine. If I wetsanded and buffed it, it'd look great, but, wasn't into all that. And, it still has a shine to it, just, not glass like shiny.

As I said, the car will get a full resto down the road, but, right now, I just want it to look better. Before I put very nice paint on the engine bay, I'd like to fix the rust holes and such...so...it'll get there. But this is good for now.

looking good man! Just curious if that transmission had been in that car before. My old dime had a dogleg 5spd in it and the guy I got it from ran into the same issue, and just had to notch the tranny tunnel a little bit where the shifter came up into the car.

No...this trans was not in this car before to my knowledge. The engine and trans were separate but included when I got the car from Qwik. I have a feeling I'll have to notch it, which isn't a big deal if thats the way its supposed to be, but, I was just worried something was different.

But...news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! After messing with the ignition wiring for a good 2 or 3 hrs and using a GM HEI module for the matchboxless matchbox dizzy.......it started right up. Just chugged to a start burning all the gas that had been dumped in from me cranking it, then smoothed right out. Idled smooth, cracked the throttle and it was very responsive.

Only let it run maybe 45 seconds to a minute since there's no cooling system hooked up right now.

But it ran!!!

She'll be roadworthy shortly :D

No...this trans was not in this car before to my knowledge. The engine and trans were separate but included when I got the car from Qwik. I have a feeling I'll have to notch it, which isn't a big deal if thats the way its supposed to be, but, I was just worried something was different.

But...news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! After messing with the ignition wiring for a good 2 or 3 hrs and using a GM HEI module for the matchboxless matchbox dizzy.......it started right up. Just chugged to a start burning all the gas that had been dumped in from me cranking it, then smoothed right out. Idled smooth, cracked the throttle and it was very responsive.

Only let it run maybe 45 seconds to a minute since there's no cooling system hooked up right now.

But it ran!!!

She'll be roadworthy shortly :D

:thumbup: sweet! love that feeling.

Yes it is a great feeling...hahaha.

What I'm finding very odd about this car, though...is, I'll be working on it, trying to accomplish something and it just won't work...

I'll walk away from it for a few hours and come back....do the SAME EXACT thing I was doing before....but that time everything works.

Its like the car is fixing itself...multiple times this has happened.

Christine moment here, anyone?

Haha.

Maybe...just maybe if I do this......

Well.........

it moved under its own power...sorta...lol

Got everything in the driveline hooked up...but, clutch doesn't quite disengage the whole way.

Now, my slave cylinder came with its own rod that was about 1/2" longer than the stock rod, so, I used the original rod from the slave, I'm thinking that may be the issue or i just didn't get all the air out...but, I'm just not sure why the slave rod would be different lengths??? Tomorrow I'll try bleeding a little bit more and maybe put the longer rod in there.

Anyway, it disengaged the clutch enough that I could almost get it into 1st and it started moving forward...but, didn't disengage enough to try reverse, it just grinded.

But, first time its moved under its own power in probably 20 years...hahahhaha.

Tomorrow I'll finish up the cooling system and fix all the rubber on the gas tank. My plan is to use an electric fan from a fiero that I have laying around...but, question, should the fan push or pull on a 510???

And, I just can't believe how quick this thing starts...weber must be set for cold weather starts...lol Hit the key, can hardly hear the starter make a full revolution and its running.

But, expect to see a picture of it abroad tomorrow. :)

Well...made some more progress :)

Basically, everything is hooked up...got the gas tank hooked up and running fuel out of it (after accidentally hooking the pump up to the return and not getting any fuel :/ )

Anyway...seems there was some old fuel in there cause man does is smoke and smell horrible...haha. It'll burn though, probably still better than this new crap...lol

Got the cooling system hooked up, the heater core is bypassed at the moment cause I wanted to make sure the rest of the system was ok...but, its all hooked up.

Only one problem............a major problem. My clutch WILL NOT disengage. I have an L20b with the clutch that was attatched to it (I know nothing about it other than it looked healthy), and a dogleg out of a 200sx. I bought a throwout bearing for the 200sx...could this maybe be incorrect? The pedal has full travel and has some force behind it, but, it won't disengage. Any ideas?

Also...whats the adjustment on the slave rod for? Should the threaded end be in the slave or against the clutch fork?

this here should answer your slave questions. The thread is for a 521, but it's very similar if not the same for a 510

http://community.rat...ave-adjustment/

oh, and watch the videos. great tutorial on how to adjust your slave.

Edited by skyblue521

Well...thats the slave I have, but definitley not the fork...haha. So, I guess mine really has no adjustment down there. Thanks for the links though! I'll check at the pedal.

And...didn't do much else today...but, pushed it outside and let it run a good 10 minutes to try and burn some of the old fuel...runs kinda crappy, but, I'll get some dry gas and add some more new stuff to try and water it down...still starts right up though.

Also, it isn't charging, but, I have an internally regulated alternator and the stock regulator still hooked up...so, I'll do the wiring mod and see if thats still an issue. My Omni still charges with an external and an internal on a newer style alternator, so I figured this one would've to...guess not :/ No biggie though, I'll check that out.

And...got a couple more shots of it today, but, my internet isn't allowing me to upload any pics...so...tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...its been a long while but finally time for an update :)

After finally figuring out the clutch issue (slave cyl rod was too long), it works great. Took it out for its first drive today up the street about half a mile.

First thing I noticed...its slow, but...once it started clearing out the old fuel and sucking in the newer stuff, it started smoothing out and pulled a good bit harder...so...who knows...lol

But, brakes need rebled :/ Pump them twice and she'll stop, but, that gets tiring...haha.

Also, I converted it over to a cable throttle pedal from a 240sx. Took some ingenuity and...how do you say it..........uh, rigging using a grinder and parts from another car...but, it works great.

So...once I get the little issues squared away, I'll probably get some tags on her and start driving it :)

Planning on getting tags tomorrow to start my test driving and short trips...I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best...haha. I'm hoping they'll let me get historic tags despite its rustiness :(

Before I can drive it though, I just need to get a fan on it and get my alternator to charge...its internally regulated and I jumped the harness where it used to hook to the external regulator, but, I have nothing...I'm thinking the fusible link may be blown though...idk. The belts not the tightest thing in the world, but...even holding it at high rpms where I can see the alternator is spinning at warp speed, it doesn't make a difference.

And, if it makes any difference, none of my gauges inside (other than the speedo) operate. I believe there is a power wire not hooked up somewhere. I know its grounded...I grounded the grounds to make sure the grounds were grounding. But, does the charge light complete the alternator circuit?

EDIT: Pics abroad this weekend, tags or not :)

Its tagged! Took it on its first journey today and the radiator separated some and is leaking :/ But...still expect some pics.

And...man does it smoke...I'm still blaming the ancient gas in the tank, but, ick. And it runs okay...very very very very slow, but, runs smooth enough. Also, open downpipe doesn't sound too good.

But...really, I drove it to work and back home without having to pull over and it didn't stall or hiccup...guess thats a good first step.