Carburetor Upgrades

Vitamin Pepsi

Hello! When I purchased my 280z a while back, it was owned by a guy who took off the fuel injection and put on some harley davidson carburetors. They're not the worst thing in the world, the car gets 31mpg on the highway, but if you put your foot down, the car suffers from major fuel starvation. I still have some of the fuel injection parts in a box, but chances are they're missing something. What would be the best course of action for upgrading the carburetors? I don't have $1600 to upgrade to triple webers. :(

oEXFA.jpg

z61es.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly cant see why you want to change them

Because he said "if you put your foot down, the car suffers from major fuel starvation".

I'm guessing it's actually air starvation. Those HD carbs look smaller than the stock 240Z carburetor. The 240Z motor was 150HP and old harleys are 1200cc and less than 120HP

I'd probably get some SU's. I just bought the Z Therapy rebuild kit which comes with the dvd about the SU's. It doesn't look like they're going to be too hard to mess with and I rarely do work on cars.

Typically the SU throttle shafts are worn after 40 years of use...rebuild kits won't address that issue.

Need to be re-bushed

$325...Z Therapy

$100...Zeddsaver...although they are located north of the border and do not use the roller bearings as Z Therapy does...but guaranteed for life

• 3 weeks later...

These are the carburetors found on pre'72 240zs, correct?

I don't know, I have no experience with jetting carbs.

http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-carburetor-jetting.html

Can also drill out the stock main jets(with the right bits) to get it more rich.

Its probably the cheapest solution to get it running right. Those carbs are probably still jetted for a 2 cyl.

Honestly I think your current setup would be just as good as SU's when tuned right.