Redo engine harness?

strang3majik

Hey everyone...

just got my first dime last weekend and have started tearing into to clean the engine bay up...

Well, got looking at the original harness in the engine bay, and its not so nice anymore as to be expected from 40 years of service, plus, the headlight harness had some aftermarket relay hooked in it, and I can't even find the positive to the battery, and theres a few wires just hanging there, cutoff...one blue one coming from the fuse box as well.

But, I was wondering if it would be an okay idea to redo the harness basically from the fuse box forward. Just the external wires, not the ones that go inside the car (they're all still pliable and not hacked inside the car).

Should I up the gauge of the wire some? Should I stick with the stock fuse box? Or maybe get a modern style box?

And, onto my random question that isn't electrical related, where can I get a heater core?

thanks in advance!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do proceed with this process, weather it be with a PAINLESS or just wire stock, can you please write up a wire map. and maybe even measure out lengths and gauges you use.

That's a lot to ask. There are wiring diagrams you can use. If replacing your wiring just measure the old wire lengths.

blue from the fuse box is the air cond wire. It will have 12volts when key is ON.

Be careful not to redo a harness just becasue the lightws dont work or work with a fgunky relay.

I seen to many 510 lost cause they cant figure it out.

510 headlights are EZ but they are a switchable ground circut.

I bet the PO owner put that in there cause he didnt figure out how the stock relay worked and just bypassed it and added a relay then most likely wired it for switchable power.

stock 510.

when uses a test light ground one end. the pointy end put on back of the lamp while the plug is still attacjhed. Your test light should light up. so when you put the light lowbeam ON it will ground thru the relay. then on HIGHS it puts a double ground and light both sets of lights.

Most times the relay goes bad or contacks needs to be cleaned.

Wireing a whole car I dont recomment.MOST 510 GUYS MIGHT HAVE BUILT "LEGOS" WHEN A KID SO A 510 THEY THINK THEY CAN HANDLE. far from it!!!!!!!!

Nobody is going to write a procudure on this either.

then figureing out the turn signals ect.

fix what you have and splice in a wire if needed then re wrap it up to make it look clean.

My 3 datsun harness are old but stuill work!!!!!!

^^^Thats what I decided I'm going to do...haha.

There's some funky stuff going on in the harness, but, it had dealer installed air at one time, so, theres wires under the dash that lead to no where and that blue wire in the engine bay just chilling there, but, I'll block them off.

Also, the relay...it appears it may have had fog lights at some point, so, maybe they used the relay so they came on with the headlights? After looking further, they only used those crimp things that just bites onto the existing wire.

Also...the only real two reasons I wanted to redo it were, the white wire by the fuse box had bare wire showing...and there is wire nuts under the steering column :/

But, what wire is the main positive lead for the car? I can't find which one is supposed to go to the battery.

Thanks again guys!

But, what wire is the main positive lead for the car?

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! get a manuual

The main feed wire is at the starter lug with a round ring(goes to a fusable link which is just a colored wire and goes up to the fuse box. On 510s is most likely a white wire. this also goes to the + side alternatr(wht/red wire) and to volt reg and other places.

not hard to figure out that relay. turn lights on and ohm or measure voltage on what that relay is doing. pin 85/86 are the trigger circut to activate it and 30 and 87 and the power lines(higher amp contacts) But you can find on web for LIGHT BOX pin out

Yikes...I have a feeling some of the harness is missing then :blink:

I'll unwrap the entire thing tonight and see if I can't figure anything out. But, there's no positive battery cable anymore, nor any ends on any of the wires that probably would've led to the engine. I'll get some pics and post them.

Well...i feared the worse and got even scarier results. The flat blade wire that plugs into the fuse box had electrical tape around it, I unwrapped it to find bare wire, with some sheathing that looks melted down into the main harness. The red and yellow wire that plugs into the fuse box also has a giant split in the side.....

But, that's just the beginning.

Lets go inside the car under the dash, there is a plug that appears to have melted at some point in time and is simply destroyed...then, above that, what appears to be more burned wires in a cluster, all have bare wire showing.

I'm not really sure what I should do at this point. I guess its a good thing I didn't try to apply power to this thing or it would've burned down.

I'm just hoping I didn't get in over my head.

He said he's going to get a harness to me. Hopefully its all the same as a 72 sedan.

I will be honest, if I would've noticed that, I probably would've second guessed buying it. Electrical stuff like this scares me...especially since now...I need to have it running by the 17th or else it'll lose its garage space.

Hopefully it'll all work out though. Harness doesn't look too terrible to remove, and the radio harness was hacked up anyway.

I just sent you a text.

I was not aware of the wiring issues or I would have let you know and I would have provided a better harness for you. I already told you that I have a nice under dash harness for you. I am pretty sure I have a good engine harness from a 72 sedan too. I just need to get over to my ex's place and look for it. I will try to get there this coming weekend.

I know you are excited to get the car going but please be patient.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...