KA24-e rebuild kit

FiveSeventyZee

I've done the headgasket on my L18 but never a complete engine rebuild. When I order a rebuild kit what should I be looking for? I see some kits come with water pumps, some with oil pumps, some with pistons and rings some without.also with the main bearings and the pistons they allow for standard size or 010 or 020 usually but what is that for? is it for overboring the cylinders? can anyone point me in the direction of a good complete kit that has everything I need to get my KA back up to the 155 hp Nissan claims? basically I have never rebuilt an engine and don't really know where to start and I'm trying to figure out what im supposed to order before i start buying stuff. I have the engine out of the car (hasn't been put in yet) and i have a machinist who can do the machining for me, but no other engine rebuilding skill sets haha. any help is appreciated

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of rebuilding a KA, why not just pick up a used one!? They are on Craigslist, ebay, Zilvia, 240sx.org, nicoclub etc....

Since your not really sure of where to start, I would just swoop one up from one of those forums. I know a lot of 240sx guys upgrade to the SR20DET (myself included) and usually we just want to get rid of the old KA. Personally, rebuilding isn't worth your time, money and effort.

Now, if your wanting to build a power house KA-T or something (which I doubt because you said you wanted 155hp) then yes, rebuilding a KA would be essential and worth every penny. If you decide to rebuild it, I would try and stick with as much OEM parts as possible. Remember, you get what you pay for. Having said that, example: ebay kits that include full timing chain kits with water/oil pumps for $100 probably wouldn't last more than 30 seconds of idle laugh.gif. Whatever path you choose, good luck cool.gif

Thanks for the help. this is a running engine that actually doesn't have any issues I just want to rebuild it before it goes in the car so I know I can get years of service from it. I'm moving away from home for a couple years and won't be able to work on it as much so I want to make as many things as reliable as possible on this car before I do. first is the brakes (in progress) then the engine is next.

also I was thinking, the KA is known for its long stroke right? why don't you see people boring them out to make it a larger displacement? is there not enough material between the cylinders? I ask because more than 155 would be awesome. I'm actually aiming about 10-15hp higher than stock. I would like at least 165 and anything more would be cool.

I was thinking my options are, turbo, supercharge, big bore, stroker, or stock with bolt ons (intake, exhaust, cam, etc)

the stroker kit for KA's are usually around $2k so even though in a perfect world that would be my first choice the price just makes it not an option.

big bore would be next probably but no one seems to do it so I'm guessing there's a reason.

supercharger and turbo setups involve welding which I don't have access to a welder at this time so those it kinda out

which leaves me with rebuilding now and adding bolt ons. I figure with a good exhaust, a good cam (r4?) and a good tune I should easily get 165-170hp which is why I'm ping this route.

oh also Im just really interested in the learning the process of rebuilding an engine so that when I have the funds I can build up a monster ls or RB for my 240

That is a waste or time, effort and resources.

this is a running engine that actually doesn't have any issues I just want to rebuild it before it goes in the car so I know I can get years of service from it

Nissan engines in good running condition will give years of service. So do not rebuild unless it needs it.

If you won't be able to work on the car in years to come, keep it stock! Suping it up will almost guarantee it will need work later. In stock form it most likely will give years of trouble-free service. Rebuilding it introduces risk, especially if you've never done it before.

Oh damn.....I was under the impression that this motor wasn't working. I second ggzilla. If your not familiar with engine internals, I would steer clear of them. I think you'd be surprised how much power/torque the ka makes. Especially in a 510. Its all about power to weight. I can keep up with a stock 300hp Subaru STI in my 510 powered ka24de.

I would replace the timing chain , guides and tensioner on it. The KA24E is notorious for using a crappy plastic guide that falls apart. I recently pulled on apart and was surprised to find the guides intact and in reasonable shape..... until I dropped the oil pan.

KA24Eblock004Large-1.jpg

Found in oil pan...

KA24Eblock008Large-1.jpg

Evidence that the guide had indeed fallen apart previously, and been replaced. These are the parts that couldn't be reached because they were in the pan.

Plus 1 for Mike. Timing chain's on these KA's are junk. I'm currently in the process of sourcing a full timing chain kit. From what I've read, I would only go OEM from Nissan. Spend a little more, but rest assured your getting quality parts.

Sounds good.

as for the cam I was looking at O & J hydraulic cams. they say they are intended for stock/near stock engines and are low cost. anyone have experience with them or should I go with the nismo r4?

http://www.ojperformance.com/Online%20Store/product.php?productid=16476&cat=825&page=1

I was looking at the stage 2

Here's what O & J says about it:

These are designed to enhance throttle response and low end torque in trucks, passenger cars and mild marine applications while delivering fuel efficient motoring. High vacuum, smooth idle and maximum efficiency are characteristics of these cams.

Sounds just like the stock cam. Why don't you call them and ask what the dyno tests show how much the HP increase is on a stock KA24E?