help no spark

bustedknuckles

im working on my girlfriends goon with an l16 pulled the car into the garage under its own power did alot of work to it talked about the work i did on the cars thread but after putting in new points cap rotor condensor plugs wires and so on. so there is power going from the coil into the cap but im not getting any spark from there what is going on? im getting down to the wire as soon as the thing starts its on the road help please

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Points are not opening or not closing. They have to open and close to work.

Wiring loose or incorrect at points.

Condenser internally shorted. Disconnect it and see if it will start. If it does replace it.

Distributor not grounded. Only applies it it was removed to replace points.

the points are opening and closing i set the the gap early today and have checked it several times the condenser is new just installed that about an hour ago. i will double check the wiring at the points and see where that leaves me. thanks for the input if that doesnt work is there anything else u can think of that i should try?

Start by tracing the voltage.

1. KEY ON, engine OFF. Measure the voltage at the ballast resistor. One end must have 12V. If not, there is a wiring problem. Maybe loose wire, bad wire or ignition switch. Maybe a bad fuse

2. Remove both wire from Ballast Resistor. Remove S wire from Starter. Have someone HOLD key to START. Measure voltage at coil + terminal. Should be 12V.

Start simple and cheap. Parts age and wear. Condenser, points, etc. I chased down the same issue for days and it was a condenser.

Like mike said, disconnect the condenser and try and start it. Don't run it without the condenser though, you risk damaging the points (iirc)

sell it to me!!!!!!!!

if it worked before the point change then change it back, SIMPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

better be good at this as this will happen alot more than one thinks with a point vehicle. also get your woman to spot this also.

1 points ground out

2 condensor goes bad

3 point gap wrong

33% of soemthing going bad!!!!!!!

here is where a EI or Pertronix conversion would prevent this from happening ever again

also there is never power going to the cap . the points just ground the coil so it charhges up. then when pouint open the coil field collapses the thus the coil will fire(to ground)