A Few 620 questions.

Wylder1324

Ok so Im considering buying a 620 to add to the stable. Im pretty entrenched in the Datto/Nissan world but don't know much about the 620. Can anybody give me a rundown of the differences and changes the truck went through during its run and what is considered to be the most desirable year. I am also curious as to which year started offering the king cab option. Last thing that comes to mind at the moment is It looks as though the 1974 model year's front end has a somewhat different shape than all other years I've seen (It could just be the angle not sure) but the nose seems to come to points on each end and then in the middle....am I wrong ?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'76, actually, for the King Cab. It was introduced partway into the '76 model year.

There's no outward difference in sheet metal up front. The hood, fenders, doors, bumper, bed, and tailgate were all exactly the same for the entire run with the exception of the tailgate in '79 only had a inner doubler panel. The only outward difference was the rear cab pillar on non-King Cab trucks had an external vent from '72-75, which was removed (moved behind the door/fender and hidden from view) for '76-on.

'72-74 have a different core support shape than '75-79 (to account for the different radiator) but that's only visible with the hood open.

Grille changed for '78-79 to a thicker but simpler design (no trim rings) but the 2 styles mount exactly the same.

'78-79 have front disc brakes and ball joints, whereas '72-77 have drum brakes and kingpins. This usually puts a "premium" on the '78-79 trucks unless you're in California where '72-75 have a premium because of emissions testing.

Engines were L16 for 72-73, L18 for '74, and L20B for '75-79. Of course most trucks have had an engine change at some point and it's pretty random what you get. L18s were a real common "low mile import" engine back in the 80s so a LOT of trucks ended up with them.

Same with transmissions- the 5-speed option only existed in '77-79, but many have been swapped in.

There's of course little changes every year. No 2 years had identical wiring harnesses, seat belts changed twice (72-74 were one kind of multi-part non retracting belt, '75 was another but similar to before, and '76 introduced retractors). EGR warning light pod added in '75, a seat belt warning light got added to the pod in '76, then the EGR warning light was removed in '79. KM/h numbers added to the speedometer during the '77 calendar year (but not all '77s have them). Warning light facia changed after '75, putting the lettering on the lights rather than next to them. Dash dimmer added in '75. Headlight switch got backlit starting in '75 as well. Various emissions changes almost every year.

Nice rundown Datsunaholic :thumbup:

No matter what year you get 620's are bad-ass! I prefer the 73 cuz it has the coolest badge.

I also like the earlier grilles with the trim rings.

The 72-73 model also had the shorter 4 speed tranny. It still has the same bolt pattern on the frame as the later models so you can swap in a later 5 speed as long as you get the longer front driveshaft & crossmember from the later model trucks.

Good Luck

I am def going to go with a KC as I'm 6'2. My plans are to do something very similar to what the guy did with the yellow 620 single cab where he welded the bed to the cab, shortened the bed and cut out the back wall of cab and created a blazer like vehicle. The major differences for me is that it will be a KC, I will do a 4x4 conversion and will be going with a turbo charged KA power plant. I also will have a jeep like roll bar/cage custom made to fit the bed area that will double as a frame for a soft top.