L20b issues

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if that's the case, there must be air leaking out of somewhere. say for example a piece of the head gasket blew out in between two cylinders, when one cylinder goes for the intake cycle, the one adjacent to it is in the exhaust cycle no? so maybe just "compressed" air is seeping into the water ways and into the adjacent cylinder out the intake..... i think im wrong though.. again just throwing out ideas... you said it sat for a while so maybe the gasket deteriorated...

I own a 78 620,

....take it to a mechanic...... my last comment cuz now i feel like im being trolled .... i wonder if this is kazi?

"It's a '78 so won't have points." so 78 didnt... but 79 did?

Starting on the '78 truck a 'remote igniter' EI type dizzy was introduced. (no points) Only California '76 and '77s had them prior to this. The '79s got the new 'matchbox' style EI. These were the same thing as the '78 but the remote igniter was miniaturized and now mounted on the side of the dizzy itself. Yes it too did not have points.

if there is backfire... flip your dizzy wires 180.. try it... just try to rule out everything you possibly can, i have no idea whats wrong, but just throwing ideas out there

There's no reason to think he has moved the wires around.

It is suggested that the firing order be confirmed.

Do a compression check. Take all the plugs out, and wedge open the primary and seconday. Don't just look at the altimate reading, pay attention to how it builds up, I don't think the engine will run if you are one tooth off on the cam timing? Never had that problem so I don't know. Take the cam cover off and watch the valve action as you crank it. These engines are fairly simple to time with the 1,2,3 notches in the cam gear. There either close or way off. Put it at tdc on #1, both cam lobes in the air then check the dist.