L20b issues

I own a 78 620, seems i cant work out the kinks on my own. Did not run when i bought her but i knew the carb was clogged. I got her running was able to get her well enough to drive her. Just recently drained the coolant. Now shes not anything she was before. Im getting lots of fuel spray out of primary and secondary wont open with vacumn. secondary barrel is bone dry and she wont rev over 3000rpm. Not sure what to do. It now sounds like a popping two stroke out of primary barrel. so much fuel shoots out when attempt to rev her up. What did i do to my baby please anyone?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the wires are going to the correct plugs. 1342 is the order. Inspect the condition of the wires, cap and rotor. Specially the cap and rotor. Probably not the prob but it costs nothing and is very easy to do.

Check and set the valve lash. A little more work but a too tight valve will cause carb backfires and spitting.

Do a compression check. Look for a low cylinder (possible damaged valve or valve seat) or two adjacent low cylinders. (gasket blown between them)

Check the wires are going to the correct plugs. 1342 is the order. Inspect the condition of the wires, cap and rotor. Specially the cap and rotor. Probably not the prob but it costs nothing and is very easy to do.

Check and set the valve lash. A little more work but a too tight valve will cause carb backfires and spitting.

Do a compression check. Look for a low cylinder (possible damaged valve or valve seat) or two adjacent low cylinders. (gasket blown between them)

she ran fine and out of no where makes me lean towards gasket

she ran fine and out of no where makes me lean towards gasket

Not sure what you mean by spraying fuel. Is it flooding the engine? Carburetor

Or shooting the fuel/air back out of the carb? Sounds like a serious timing or valve issue.

Ok nvm.... Check the plugs, have you messed with them? make sure they are in the right order.

Center the timing and adjust it as necessary.

Not sure what you mean by spraying fuel. Is it flooding the engine? Carburetor

Or shooting the fuel/air back out of the carb? Sounds like a serious timing or valve issue.

the truck idles wonderful and ran well till the other day when i drained coolant and put fresh now when you pump the gas you litaraly see fuel vapor spraying out of primary and secondary is bone dry

the truck idles wonderful and ran well till the other day when i drained coolant and put fresh now when you pump the gas you litaraly see fuel vapor spraying out of primary and secondary is bone dry

Secondary doesn't do anything unless you open it up.

Idles or idled*?

You sure you didn't do anything else?

Yet again sounds like bad timing, Or something fucked up with your valves. Does the timing chain rattle/slap?

Could be headgasket if it has busted between two cylinders and the exhaust from one is pushing through the intake valve of another. At least I think that makes sense.

Secondary doesn't do anything unless you open it up.

Idles or idled*?

You sure you didn't do anything else?

Yet again sounds like bad timing, Or something fucked up with your valves. Does the timing chain rattle/slap?

I do beleive the timing chain is strected or skipped a tooth because the only way to get 12 degrees the rotor is so far advanced that the vacumn diaphram on dist is hitting cant turn any more

I do beleive the timing chain is strected or skipped a tooth because the only way to get 12 degrees the rotor is so far advanced that the vacumn diaphram on dist is hitting cant turn any more

The distributor is turned directly by the crankshaft so timing chain position or wear has nothing to do with it.

Have you done anything to it lately, anything at all?

So have you set the timing recently then???

The distributor is turned directly by the crankshaft so timing chain position or wear has nothing to do with it.

So if the timing chain has slipped and the valves are not time right that wouldn't cause the issue he's having??

ALSO could be a stuck intake valve.

I got an idea right

Cut down the search a bit

Grab the pulley and turn the engine over with other hand over carb till you feel it pushing air. When it stops pushing air, pull the plugs and grab a flashlight and find out who's at TDC. Also pull the valve cover off and check for anything... abnormal.

.... im with you mike...

...he said he parked it for a year.... im thinking points/rotor need to be cleaned.. at least... id replace em cuz they are cheap, check all wire connections/vac lines.... and MAKE SURE the spark plugs are correct.... theres no need to buy a new block... cuz honestly that has nooothing to do with any issue... if anything if would be a head/cam/valve issue...

sounds right about gasket one cylinder is spitting exuast into fuel side cause i swear you can hear it coming from carb sounds like a popping sound like two stroke and loud out of primary so i guess im tearing her down could use any help i can get like pictures or to do step by step thanmks

sounds right about gasket one cylinder is spitting exuast into fuel side cause i swear you can hear it coming from carb sounds like a popping sound like two stroke and loud out of primary so i guess im tearing her down could use any help i can get like pictures or to do step by step thanmks

what you just described is a backfire..... check your timing and your plugs wires, rotor, and cap...

i have went over everything i can possibly think of is there any possibility there is air pocket in coolant when i drained and now the tvv isint working right

what does an air bubble in the coolant have to do with the motor running fine? huh.gif i dont mean to offend... but id honestly suggest you take it to someone with a solid mechanical knowledge... even if its a buddy..

• Like 1

So if the timing chain has slipped and the valves are not time right that wouldn't cause the issue he's having??

ALSO could be a stuck intake valve.

I got an idea right

Cut down the search a bit

Grab the pulley and turn the engine over with other hand over carb till you feel it pushing air. When it stops pushing air, pull the plugs and grab a flashlight and find out who's at TDC. Also pull the valve cover off and check for anything... abnormal.

Maybe try some of this?

Jeez it's not time to teardown unless you really want to ollzz

A valve not closing is highly possible.

Head gasket would (possibly) include all/and/or loss of power, water in exhaust, oily plugs, oil in exhaust.

Compression gauges start at like 13$.

I think you need to calm down, drink a beer, and start from the TOP of the engine.

Think about it... The intake closes about 117 degrees before the plug fires and the exhaust opens about 126 degrees later. That would have to be one hell of a slipped chain to have either valve open when the plug fires. It simply wouldn't run in that condition.

...he said he parked it for a year.... im thinking points/rotor need to be cleaned.. at least... id replace em cuz they are cheap, check all wire connections/vac lines.... and MAKE SURE the spark plugs are correct.... theres no need to buy a new block... cuz honestly that has nooothing to do with any issue... if anything if would be a head/cam/valve issue...

It's a '78 so won't have points.

It is odd that the dizzy is advanced so much. Something is out there or has been out and put back wrong.