79 210 coupe engine swap

ofg

So, I just bought a real clean 1979 Datsun 210! Yes, very pleased. Its got that awsome coupe style, has very little rust, and for the most part,, runs and drives!

I didnt get it for the great mileage. I got it to do a swap. Here's what I am looking for, a suitable donor vehicle to get most or all parts for a swap. Im looking to put an L20 in the 210. Theres a 79 620 pickup for sale locally,, wondering if most of the components will work for the swap. Will the cross member fit? Not sure if the truck is manual or automatic, but I can always get the drive shaft modified. How about the rear axle, and all the brakes,, are they swappable into the 210? My 210 is a 4 spd standard, so am looking to either keep the 4 spd or swap in a 5 spd, not too critical as the l20 engine should work well either way. Surely the stock 4 spd trans is a bit weak though.

Very hard to find any 200sx or any other Datsun cars for that matter besides Z cars. Mostly what i have found are trucks. Any particular year or type truck might have the most useful parts?

Thanks!

datsun2101979001.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I just bought a real clean 1979 Datsun 210! Yes, very pleased. Its got that awsome coupe style, has very little rust, and for the most part,, runs and drives!

Hate to be that guy, but that's a 2dr sedan, not a coupe. :)

I got it to do a swap. Here's what I am looking for, a suitable donor vehicle to get most or all parts for a swap. Im looking to put an L20 in the 210.

What he said, either '78-81 510 or a '80-83 200SX. Pretty much everything swaps over.

Theres a 79 620 pickup for sale locally,, wondering if most of the components will work for the swap.

The engine (with a different oil pan) and trans will fit, nothing else will.

Will the cross member fit?

Nope. And I think the truck crossmember is welded to the frame, so...

How about the rear axle,

Nope. It's a leaf-spring 6-lug axle, yours is a 4-link 4-lug axle.

and all the brakes,, are they swappable into the 210?

Nothing from the front end is even close. Completely different design.

Any particular year or type truck might have the most useful parts?

For an engine/trans, almost any truck. For anything else, don't be thinking truck. :cool:

O/K, so I wont bother with the 79 620 pickup. I was hoping to find a donor vehicle, but like I said,, there just arent any datsun cars for sale locally. I might wait months or years for the right car. So,, I guess I will buy the parts separately. I have not tried the junk yards yet, but most around here dont deal in old stuff any more.

O/K, so I wont bother with the 79 620 pickup. I was hoping to find a donor vehicle, but like I said,, there just arent any datsun cars for sale locally. I might wait months or years for the right car. So,, I guess I will buy the parts separately. I have not tried the junk yards yet, but most around here dont deal in old stuff any more.

If you haven't tried it, search Car-Parts.com by zipcode, it will tell you what all the yards out there have.

ive always been curious if a 620 hood and bumper would be able to be swapped. it would add a cool subtle point to it

Set one on my b210, little long, little wide, but the profile looked great, but the grill and valance should be worked in there too

• 4 weeks later...

Im bringing the 210 home today! Its currently at my other garage,, but I never go there to work on it. So,, its coming home so I can start tinkering. First plan is to get it cleaned up, and tuned to stay running on stock mechanicals. Then, I think its got a dummy light stuck on, and cracked dash...

Set one on my b210, little long, little wide, but the profile looked great, but the grill and valance should be worked in there too

Grill fits pretty snug just cut down the outside flanges a bit then tucks in there snug all the lights work too. The headlight buckets matched about half the holes too but wiring plugs are all different also the way I ran it the inner lights were turn signals until the highbeams were on then it wouldn't signal because all four were lit up

downsized_0219011409a.jpg

Edit 210 not b210

But here's another picture anyways lol

0510001721a.jpg

Edit edit ok one more because it looks rad and I recomend you do it would look great on the 210 as well probably not as close of fit though

0510001717.jpg

• Like 1

I Love IT! Very cool looking. Resembles an older alfa romeo or late 70s lancia beta. Very purposeful and "euro" looking.

Thanks haha that's funny my dad said it used to look like the front of his alfa when he was in highschool. Always mentions how he wished he still had the motor to drop into it too.

Car just sits now Though. :/ atleast it looks like cool as a lawn ornament...