Near Death

Blew the driver front side drum line earlier today. Almost went into a main street in town. Anyway, after hitting up the conveniently located Knechts, I checked the lines. Turns out it was pressing against the suspension. Lookedi like where the a arm met the bottom of the shock. This common? 74 620.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No this is not a problem. This would have to be the rubber flex line then?? I believe the hard line is bolted to the frame with the rubber flex hose going to the drum.

Have you lowered your truck?

Have you modified your truck?

Lines or hoses? The hard line shouldn't be anywhere near the moving parts. It's attached to the frame.

How long were the lines on, and were you having issues with steering and braking?

I ask, because back in 1991 and I was in High School I was driving my Mom's '73 which had just had a full brake job done at Firestone. The steering had gotten really "springy" after the brake job, it was very hard to turn the wheel to full lock each way. What's worse, if I applied brakes during a turn they wouldn't let go until after I straightened out. I got really ticked at this and on the last turn before home one day I just threw the wheel over hard right for a turn while braking. Suddenly the brake pedal went to the floor and the steering suddenly got REAL easy- like it used to be. But I had no brakes coming down the hill so I had to use the parking brake for the last 3 blocks.

Got out, looked under the truck, and there was brake fluid puddles under both front wheels. I had ripped both brake hoses out of the ends.

Turns out, Firestone had stuck '78-79 DISC brake hoses on the DRUM brake truck. They have the same threads but are a few inches shorter. Every time I turned, I stretched the hoses, until I really cranked it over and ripped 'em clean out.

Yeah,soft line connected to the drum. New line should be in tomorrow. Gonna do a more thourough inspection than "yep, it's broke" and see what caused it in the first place. Line itself is probly pretty old, so I guess I should just go ahead and check the rest of them. Hasn't been lowered/modified. Aside from a different tranny and some electrics. On the subject, when I do a static drop, anything like this I should be aware of?

No this is not a problem. This would have to be the rubber flex line then?? I believe the hard line is bolted to the frame with the rubber flex hose going to the drum.

Have you lowered your truck?

Have you modified your truck?