A to L series bellhousings?

RevMag

Ok, after a long and tireless search for information I think I've figured this out.

So I was trying to find a thread about all the transmission swaps that go into a 510, without having to cut or modify the tranny tunnel in anyway (I still can't find that thread.)

Anyways, there is a B310 Sunny here in my town and I know it has the same 63A transmission as the 200SX, BUT there are 2 bellhousings; one is for a L-series (200SX) motor and the other is for the A-series (B310) motor.

Is it possible to swap a 510 4 speed bellhousing onto the B310's 5 speed?

What other options do I have for transmission that require no modifying of the tunnel? There are quite of few Zs around, but I thought they are longer and need to tunnel to be cut.

Sorry, I know my answers are somewhere in the depths of the internet, but my mind is broken... It's been one of those nights endlessly searching for Datsun info.

Thanks, Matt

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways, there is a B310 Sunny here in my town and I know it has the same 63A transmission as the 200SX, BUT there are 2 bellhousings; one is for a L-series (200SX) motor and the other is for the A-series (B310) motor.

Is it possible to swap a 510 4 speed bellhousing onto the B310's 5 speed?

What other options do I have for transmission that require no modifying of the tunnel? There are quite of few Zs around, but I thought they are longer and need to tunnel to be cut.

The F4W63 ... one piece front case including the bell and all gears bolted to a tailstock. Removable bottom pan for gear access.7104spdremoval006Large.jpg

7104spdremoval003Large.jpg

and the FS5W63A (dogleg) 3 piece, front case with bell, middle 1 inch steel adapter plate and rear tailstock.

transNAPSdoglegmaybe80-81hl510one.jpg

The FS5W63A (5 spd.) from the 200sx / pre '80 A10 will fit shifter hole shoulldn't need to be changed nor the driveshaft length. Rear moung will need to be modifies, speedo is on the same side.

The FS5W71B (5 spd.) from the 620 truck, 280z / 280zx, and the Maxima all fit. Shifter hole must be moved back a few inches, driveshaft shortened about 5".

RevMag,

Unless it has been changed, the B310 (AKA 210) is a 60 series transmission not a 63. No L series bellhousing/front cases were ever made for the 60 series transmission.

The 63 dogleg 5 speed was used in the B210 with an A series engine and it is the same basic 5 speed as used in the 200SX & HL510 with both the L & Z series engines.

If you want to use an A series 63 Dogleg behind an L series engine, you will need to swap to the L series front case (bellhousing) and use the L series input shaft. The input shaft for the A series 63 dogleg has a smaller pilot bushing, but the same clutch disc spline as the L Series.

It may be possible to use the A series input shaft with the L series case for an L series install if a custom sized pilot bushing is made, BUT the input shaft lengths between A & L gearboxes will need to be the same for it to work properly, which I have not verified.

Thanks for all the info fellas! I appreciate it!

From what I've always heard and seen, only the 77-79 200SX and 78-79 510 short-tail dogleg 5spd is a bolt-in swap.

But basically any L-series 5spd can be installed without mods to the tunnel, other than relocating the shifter hole.

Or was that the "mod" you had in mind? :P

Yep! That's what I had in mind, I don't want to cut anything! I want to be able to undo whatever mods I've done.

RevMag,

Unless it has been changed, the B310 (AKA 210) is a 60 series transmission not a 63. No L series bellhousing/front cases were ever made for the 60 series transmission.

The 63 dogleg 5 speed was used in the B210 with an A series engine and it is the same basic 5 speed as used in the 200SX & HL510 with both the L & Z series engines.

If you want to use an A series 63 Dogleg behind an L series engine, you will need to swap to the L series front case (bellhousing) and use the L series input shaft. The input shaft for the A series 63 dogleg has a smaller pilot bushing, but the same clutch disc spline as the L Series.

It may be possible to use the A series input shaft with the L series case for an L series install if a custom sized pilot bushing is made, BUT the input shaft lengths between A & L gearboxes will need to be the same for it to work properly, which I have not verified.

Yes, you're right! My bad. Thanks for the very good insight!