Alternator Question

b3y0ndd34th

HAHAHAHA Makes Sense :)

So I THINK that in my pic provided on the previous page, the black box with my fusable links, that metal box to the top right with the 4 wires, is that my voltage regulator? Again, the Autozone replacement has a few more wires, and they are differently coloured than the regulator in my car currently so I don't know which one is the L terminal.

Does this help?

IMAG0001.jpg

Sorry this is my first datsun, and actually sorry to say my first carbureated engine so some of this is new to me, I mean it's the same concept wiring wise as other cars, I know how to read diagrams and splice harnesses and stuff but the wires I'm looking for don't seem to exist for me to trace.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's a hell of a humm dinger...

You should go take a picture of that alternator for us.

That 6-pin connector at the bottom left of your picture, is the connector that is used no the voltage regulator (to the best of my knowledge).

You may have an internally regulated alternator mod, that's the only reason I can think of for your missing voltage regulator. Either that, or it was removed and never replaced...

FWIW in a 510, you have to make jumpers on the voltage regulator harness plug to run an internally regulated alternator. NOT sure if it's the same on a 610 or not.

PS, take 15 minutes and a couple bucks in quarters and go to the local drive in car wash... bring a bottle of super clean with you!!! Make that engine bay shine.

(Sorry, I OCD over dirt, ask anybody that knows me >.<)

• Like 1

I will clean her up real pretty but I need to get it charging so I can return home aswell :P you're also welcome to road trip to help clean her ;)

I think what happened was a previous owner probably did the alt swap to an IR Alt, and removed the regulator. Someone else along the lines finds the alternator is going bad, so they replace it with a stock alternator, and thus begins the problems being passed down to others, till I receive and fix it :D Atleast I like to think this is the case, I can take a pic of the alternator but I know for a fact the Labels are E (ground) F (Field) N (Neutral) and A (Batt).. brb with pic of alternator.

IMAG0006.jpg

That pretty much looks like a voltage regulator sized hole to me. Your alternator sounds like an externally regulated one, so you probably need a voltage regulator, or to exchange the alternator you have for an internally regulated one.

On 521 trucks, and probably on 510 cars, there is a thick black wire that goes form the frame of the alternator to one of the bolts holding the voltage regulator to the inner fender. This wire must remain in place, even with an internally regulated voltage regulator. I know you do not have one of the two vehicles I mentioned, but I am pretty sure this wire still needs to be there.

That is an externally regulated voltage regulator. You need a voltage regulator to run it.

That is an externally regulated alternator.

So as the previous post says, you need a voltage regulator.

It's unfortunate that people who modify things don't let the information pass on to the next owner.

One of these days I'll get a nice big list made up of all the changes to things on my dime. There are quite a few.

And I have to do a wiring diagram for all the new electronic goodies. >.<

So either you can buy a voltage regulator for your current set up, or you can just do the internally regulated alternator swap now (I would do the Saturn swap as I stated above in this thread.)

That part is up to you.

And as far as driving to Indiana, you're on your own buddy! You're welcome to pay for my round-trip airline ticket, the materials, and equipment - and supply me with food and some sort of payment, and I'll get that little goon of yours running AND I'll make it so damned clean you can eat off it. Airfare round trip from Medford, OR to you and back. :P

Thanks all for your help, I really feel like a nimrod, but it took going to the library to borrow a datsun book to figure out where that voltage regulator was suppose to be lol. I've got an alternator in the shop from a 99 Saturn being refreshed. I am having it set up with a one wire setup, internally regulated, self exciting. Hooks to the battery and done. This shop is really flakey though, he owes me money from a previous adventure he bailed on, could have had a brand new alternator in there by now <.< but he's promising me tomorrow... we'll see, If not I may be burning some shop down :P

I know those wires look in sad sorry shape I had them all individually wraped but I kept removing the tape to see what the wire colors were so I left it off this time lol. Soon those wires will be USELESS though :D

Did my alternator swap today, I'll get pics tomorrow been up all night at work and need sleep before tonight :D

used a 1999 Saturn SL Alternator, Used a 1 wire regulator setup.

As you see here using the 99 alternator proved an advantage, I have an internal fan and do not have to worry about hoses being damaged, however I damage a few fins and had a pin hole link from installation, I used some stop leak immediately.

IMAG0010.jpg

only one lonely wire

IMAG0011.jpg