How big are the 411s?

I've been lurking here for a while now, and I've come up with a few questions I haven't found answers to (maybe I'm bad with search though). Rat-rods have always been my absolute favorite style ride, and while the 510 has always been a dream, and after seeing fisch's drawing of the 411 goon, I absolutely fell in love. Thing is, I'm a pretty big dude (6'3" and anywhere between 225 and 245), would this be too small for me? My other question is about the engine. I'm a huge fan of diesels, and I'm not looking for something to make me crap my pants when I hit the go pedal, so I've been keeping an eye on the VW TDIs a bit also... any chance one would fit in the bay?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I measured my 411. From seat cushion to headliner it is 34 inches, the same as my Infiniti J30 and an inch better than my 240SX. In addition, the seat tracks on the front buckets allow you to set the seats w-a-y back, almost to the rear bench seat. I don't think you would have a problem. As for the engine, a far out option would be to install a Nissan Diesel engine. They were exclusively imported to USA by Chrystler and were used to convert old London Austin cabs which were then sold to resorts across Arizona as airport pickup cars for high roller guests. I think some later Sentras may have had a Diesel option, so a trip to Pick a Part may be fruitful.

I think a TDI would be a great idea, but IIRC all VW's are front-wheel drive... you might have an issue with installing the engine unless you rotated the engine and adapted one of the axles to mount to the 411 driveshaft, or you tore out the entire front end from the VW and transplanted it into the 411. The second option would mean extra work, but if you did the rear suspension to match you would have one hell of a 411.

I'd try to find an LD20, or SD22 or SD25. The LD20 will be harder to find, and source parts for than the SD engines. Where are you located? There is an SD22 for sale in the junkyard down the road for $300... Looks complete, and in clean shape.

I have a Jetta TDI. You might be able to stuff its engine into a 411, but I would count on a LOT of custom work - fabrication, wiring, etc - in addition to the FWD issue. Do yourself a favor and look for a Nissan diesel; it'll be a lot cheaper, and a hell of a lot easier. That having been said, let me know if there's anything you need. I can probably get a few specs from the service manual; it's nearly impossible to take any meaningful measurements on the engine thanks to all the plastic crap stuck all over it!

Andrew

I think a TDI would be a great idea, but IIRC all VW's are front-wheel drive... you might have an issue with installing the engine unless you rotated the engine and adapted one of the axles to mount to the 411 driveshaft, or you tore out the entire front end from the VW and transplanted it into the 411. The second option would mean extra work, but if you did the rear suspension to match you would have one hell of a 411.

IF he found a later model , post 99, passat those went back to longitudinal mount versus transverse. so a TDI might be doable that way. also most audis have been longitudinal mount for years. so that may be a way to look as well.