Paintjob?

I want to get my 280Z Painted FlatBlack, DP-20... But I want to avoid just rattlecanning it. Anyone know of a good shop near Lakewood, Tacoma area that could help me out? Any reccomendation is a good one.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to get my 280Z Painted FlatBlack, DP-20... But I want to avoid just rattlecanning it. Anyone know of a good shop near Lakewood, Tacoma area that could help me out? Any reccomendation is a good one.

There's an additive you can use to make any color come out "flat". Short of "hangers" (runs) any idiot can paint flat~ black or otherwise. A typical paint job at a good shop can run $3000, but why waste the money? Go find a Miracle/Earl Sheib/ etc., and save a bundle.

Not sure how flat paint on a Z is gonna look~ but I'm sure you've well thought this out....

Peace~

Scott

I know I CAN do it, Scott. However I live in an apartment complex on a military base... They aren't too keen on people spraypaintin the place up, or hanging tarps on the parking lot overhang to prevent overspray. Hell, they aren't even cool with me opening my hood, but, I think thats bullsh!t, so I work on my car alot, but believe me, If I spraypaint my car out front, Sh!ts gun' get bad.

i know paint jobs are pricy, thats why I was hoping somone in the area could hook me up, even if they just let me borrow a paint bay or garage haha.

In regards to my Avatar, idk who Izzo is/was, I'm still pretty new here. But my callsign when I was doing convoys in Iraq earlier this year was Rat Fink, and I think it seemed appropriate here. Would Izzo be mad though, Should I change it?

Does McChord AFB have an auto hobby shop? They on occasion have paint shop capability. General LeMay saw to it when he was around that Air Force Bases had auto hobby shops. He was a hot rodder from way back and wanted to be sure his people were able to maintain safe cars and trucks. Present AF leadership seems to come up short on this item!

yeah, we have an auto hobby shop, but the best they can do in the way of paint, is give you a card containing local paint shops and their phone numbers. Of course, the paint shops don't offer amazing discounts on what they consider "Custom" jobs... lol The best quote I've gotten is $1600.

Give Green River community college a call ..They used to have a real good auto program and they are pretty close , just East of Auburn. There is another one in Tacoma that has collision program name...... Clover Park Technical college.. Since you just want a spray ..the best thing would be to talk to them in person to see how to get started..

I graduated from South Puget Sound community college .for auto repair and we did weird quickies ( for the experience ) all the time...But that was quite a while ago..tongue.gif

green river.......http://www.greenriver.edu/

clover park....http://www.cptc.edu/

Hell, I'd just go hit up your local Maaco auto body and paint shop. I plan on using them when my car is ready for paint. I had a car painted by Maaco 20 years ago and it's still holding strong, and it was the cheap paint job. I believe they have greatly improved their paint since then too. Sometimes they have sales on paint jobs too, like $300 plus body work. (do your own body work, theirs does suck)

http://www.yelp.com/...inting-tacoma-2

These guys say they can do it for $300, you're right. Thanks alot DirtTrack

And if you leave the windows down they`ll paint the inside for free..

laugh.gif

But seriously take a look at the contract on those 300 jobs ...it`s you bought it you got it..even if they totally screw it up ..and most times they dont even sand car first.

The trade schools might be cheaper and they might do some body work also

I know I CAN do it, Scott. However I live in an apartment complex on a military base... They aren't too keen on people spraypaintin the place up, or hanging tarps on the parking lot overhang to prevent overspray. Hell, they aren't even cool with me opening my hood, but, I think thats bullsh!t, so I work on my car alot, but believe me, If I spraypaint my car out front, Sh!ts gun' get bad.

i know paint jobs are pricy, thats why I was hoping somone in the area could hook me up, even if they just let me borrow a paint bay or garage haha.

In regards to my Avatar, idk who Izzo is/was, I'm still pretty new here. But my callsign when I was doing convoys in Iraq earlier this year was Rat Fink, and I think it seemed appropriate here. Would Izzo be mad though, Should I change it?

You can use whatever avatar you want man. I just thought it was a cool picture and used it for a while. A few weeks back when I saw that avatar, thought to myself "I don't remember posting that" :rofl:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.