Help w/Hose Layout - 77 620 Stock

77Devon

Let me start off by saying that this forum has been a tremendous help while working on my 620. This is the first Datsun that I have owned, and I am at the point where I don't know where to go. When I bought it, it was running fine, perhaps rough from sitting a few years, but none the less, it ran. After I got it home I started cleaning it up, changed oil, air filter, spark plugs, the simple stuff. I noticed as I was going through it that some of the hoses were either split, unhooked, or plugged up. Me being the idiot that I am, decided that I should see about getting all of that straitened out, even though it was running fine. So, long story short, it isn't running so hot anymore. The best way that I can describe it is that it will run fine until it is warmed up, then it will sputter randomly when accelerating and die if I don't change the pressure on the gas pedal once it starts to sputter. If I park it and put it in N or P, it idles fine, maybe a bit fast, but it won't die or sputter. The main thing I am wondering is if I have a hose hooked up incorrectly or perhaps some that shouldn't be hooked up or should/shouldn't be plugged. I would really like some pictures of how I should have it all hooked up, I am a novice mechanic and do not have the knowledge to know where everything is, especially when it comes to emissions and vacuum lines. I don't know if maybe someone already has some pictures or would be willing to take some and post them, I would appreciate any help. If this problem doesn't seem like a hose issue, I am more than happy to take tips or advice on how to resolve the issue. Thank you all for the help in the past and on this topic. - Devon

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now I am having a more severe issue. I got the hoses connected correctly, put some seafoam carb cleaner in the tank, and went out on the road. After about 2 minutes, it started sputtering on me to the extreme. The only way I could keep it going and make it back was to press the accelerator, let off, press it again, and do this repeatedly. If I just held the accelerator, it would go for a second, then try to cut out. The last time that I tired to pull the carb to clean/rebuild it, I couldn't figure out how to get it all the way out. Does anyone have any instructions or pictures on how to pull the carb? Unless it sounds like it could be anything else. I confirmed that the choke is opening all the way when it is warm, I replaced the fuel filter 2 months ago, and it has new gas in it.

yes get a manual while they last. Did you disconnect everything?? Throttle cable included it should just lift off. There is a picture here of mine all the way off maybe it will help.

carboff

Good luck. Call me if you want I can walk you through it I think I sent my phone # to you...

Ok, now I am having a more severe issue. I got the hoses connected correctly, put some seafoam carb cleaner in the tank, and went out on the road. After about 2 minutes, it started sputtering on me to the extreme. The only way I could keep it going and make it back was to press the accelerator, let off, press it again, and do this repeatedly. If I just held the accelerator, it would go for a second, then try to cut out. The last time that I tired to pull the carb to clean/rebuild it, I couldn't figure out how to get it all the way out. Does anyone have any instructions or pictures on how to pull the carb? Unless it sounds like it could be anything else. I confirmed that the choke is opening all the way when it is warm, I replaced the fuel filter 2 months ago, and it has new gas in it.

This is how mine acted when i had fuel pump issues. I've had electric and mechanical on my 620s. A see thru fuel filter before the fuel pump and the sight glass window on front of the carb can help identify if the fuel is getting to the carb.

You may have to drive around with the air filter removed to see the window on front of the carb, but if it's happening all the time it would be easy to see.