In over my head. aka Rats nest of wires.

Apparently logical actions like labeling wires doesn't apply to Datsuns...or at least the one I have. We got a "running" 510 sedan, put a grand into it to make it go vroom and then tried to tackle the lack of anything in the dash. Underneath the race car metal sheet was a rats nest of random wires some way too long and others spliced into new sections with different colored coating.

So we labeled all the ones that had been hooked up to something and traced it back to the fuse box. Then I got a dash out of a Z that had gauges and all the wires properly organized and grouped together. Next we swapped out the messy wires for the neat wires.....And nothing worked.

It didn't have gauges before so that was a toss up and it could be hooked up wrong. The original fuse box had been replaced with a newer one so the manual doesn't do me any good. The lights had originally been wired so that when the battery was on so were the lights. Now they don't work at all. And I haven't a clue where the turn signals might be.

So opinions on options? Clearly I'm in over my head, but I'd hate to get rid of it if there is a chance it's an easy fix for someone more knowledgeable. The extra fun part is now that we've been mucking about with the wiring there is something smoking out of engine compartment with a rather rubbery odor...so it's stranded in BFE on top of it all.

Is wiring generally an issue on these? I've never had a wiring issue in a car before, but I suspect that this little black hole will turn into a big black hole if I tow it into a shop. Suggestions? What would you? It's a 70' 510 Sedan btw

2011-10-15162138.jpg

.2011-10-15153220.jpg

After some labeling and removing the metal plate.

2011-10-15153231.jpg

2011-10-15155221.jpg

2011-10-15155244.jpg

The new fuse box.

2011-10-15162117.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it has to come out.

You need to decide if you want to go back to stock, or get an aftermarket wiring kit.

I would probably go with a kit, it will be more available, and it will be new. A 510 harness fro a junkyard will be 40 years old.

The right kit should also have good instructions with it.

its all garbage. I wouldn't even mess with it at all. Get a good harness and a factory dash. Its all plug and play. The person that did that is a complete wiring idiot

Well we pulled it all out and tried to use the dash assembly out of a Z (I saw somewhere on here that it was more a matter of making the dash fit, but we just took the gauges and wires). I guess my biggest issue is I don't know what I'm looking at. I can trace things that were already hooked up, but I'm really just winging it here. It was a real mess in there with groups of wires to nowhere and who knows if anything on the fuse box is correct.

I've browsed through various threads regarding the gauges and lights, but after a couple minutes it's all greek.

.....I don't suppose someone knows anyone in my area who really knows their Datsun wiring that I could pay to do it?

I agree, it has to come out.

You need to decide if you want to go back to stock, or get an aftermarket wiring kit.

I would probably go with a kit, it will be more available, and it will be new. A 510 harness fro a junkyard will be 40 years old.

The right kit should also have good instructions with it.

Any particular kits out there that you would recommend?

Well we pulled it all out and tried to use the dash assembly out of a Z (I saw somewhere on here that it was more a matter of making the dash fit, but we just took the gauges and wires). I guess my biggest issue is I don't know what I'm looking at. I can trace things that were already hooked up, but I'm really just winging it here. It was a real mess in there with groups of wires to nowhere and who knows if anything on the fuse box is correct.

I've browsed through various threads regarding the gauges and lights, but after a couple minutes it's all greek.

.....I don't suppose someone knows anyone in my area who really knows their Datsun wiring that I could pay to do it?

that was my friends dash swap. Was a hybrid z/510 dash harness. Getting set to rewire a buddy's 620. That's a $1000+ job

A few questions. How much can you spend on this? I know, as little as possible. Something like this, would cost around $400.00.

http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=10307

Something like this would cost around $90.00

http://www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog/largeview.php?SearchField=70107

The 400 dollar kit is more complete, and would be easier to install. The 90 dollar kit would require more work on your part.

How much time can you spend doing this?

It may be possible to take what you already have, and use parts of it. Do you have the all the stock switches for the lights, wipers, heater, ignition, and any other things for the car? Do the stock turn signals work? Is the stock turn signal switch even good?

Wiring a car seems like a big daunting task. It is. But you can break it down into individual circuits, and each part becomes much simpler.

For example, if the car has separate turn signals and brake lights, the brake lights are wired like this. Power comes from the battery, to a fuse. The power then goes to the brake light switch. After the switch, the power then goes to the brake light bulbs, and then the power goes to the chassis of the car, and then back to the battery.

A few questions. How much can you spend on this? I know, as little as possible. Something like this, would cost around $400.00.

http://www.painlessw...archField=10307

Something like this would cost around $90.00

http://www.painlessw...archField=70107

The 400 dollar kit is more complete, and would be easier to install. The 90 dollar kit would require more work on your part.

Well $400 and getting it to work is better than $90 and pulling my hair out.

How much time can you spend doing this?

Time is a little more iffy. I'm right in the middle of moving to a place with limited parking which makes time a major factor in me keeping the car. I get 2 parking spots (and we need two running vehicles on a daily basis) and there is no street parking anywhere near me..and no garage at the new place either. If I had more time before I had to move I could fight through the learning curve and try to get it going. So another reason it might be safer to have someone else look at it.

It may be possible to take what you already have, and use parts of it. Do you have the all the stock switches for the lights, wipers, heater, ignition, and any other things for the car? Do the stock turn signals work? Is the stock turn signal switch even good?

The turn signals weren't hooked up so I'm not sure if they actually work or not. Is there a way to test them? I have the switches for lights and the heater...there were various knobs and little red switch lights all over the place that didn't work so one of those knobs could be for the wipers.

The ignition was changed out into a weird 3 part sequence. 1) Turn a lever to turn on the battery. 2) Flip a metal switch under a red plastic cover 3) Push a big black button.

Wiring a car seems like a big daunting task. It is. But you can break it down into individual circuits, and each part becomes much simpler.

For example, if the car has separate turn signals and brake lights, the brake lights are wired like this. Power comes from the battery, to a fuse. The power then goes to the brake light switch. After the switch, the power then goes to the brake light bulbs, and then the power goes to the chassis of the car, and then back to the battery.

I guess when it's broken down into parts like that it doesn't sound quite so scary. I suppose if I had a kit and some instructions I could give it a go. ...Thanks for being so helpful. ^__^

I do not know your abilities exactly, but this is what I would do. Granted, I am telling you how to spend your money, it is your choice.

I would order this Painless kit, from here.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=painless%2010307&dds=1

Once I got the kit, focus on getting the car running. Do not worry about headlights, or taillights. Get the stop lights working, and then the turn signals. Drive the car in daylight, if necessary. Do not worry about the heater, or other non necessary accessories.

If the car starts easily, it can be ran for a while just with ignition, and starting circuits.

You can charge the battery with a battery charger. Do what you have to to be able to satisfy your new residents, parking requirements.

Then you will have a little more time to deal with the accessories.

Until the accessories are hooked up, you can just tie the extra wires up neatly, and pull the fuses for the non active circuits.

I do not know your abilities exactly, but this is what I would do. Granted, I am telling you how to spend your money, it is your choice.

I would order this Painless kit, from here.

http://www.summitrac...s%2010307&dds=1

Once I got the kit, focus on getting the car running. Do not worry about headlights, or taillights. Get the stop lights working, and then the turn signals. Drive the car in daylight, if necessary. Do not worry about the heater, or other non necessary accessories.

If the car starts easily, it can be ran for a while just with ignition, and starting circuits.

You can charge the battery with a battery charger. Do what you have to to be able to satisfy your new residents, parking requirements.

Then you will have a little more time to deal with the accessories.

Until the accessories are hooked up, you can just tie the extra wires up neatly, and pull the fuses for the non active circuits.

Well my main focus is the gauges, break lights and turn signals. The rest, like you said, can wait. As for skill level...Is there something newer than noob? Cause that would be me. I know nothing about mechanics or what the various parts of the car are. Totally winging it here.

Sorry, didn't realize that Painless was a brand. I thought you just meant that it was easy to put in. :P

Its all good man.

I have never wired up a car with one of those kits, but really it doesn't look that hard. Couple weekends and you should be off. Just take your time, everything is labelled, color coated and there are instructions. I have PDF wiring diagrams of the 510 etc if you need to figure out how to wire it up to the new wiring kit. Just shoot me a PM and i can email it sometime. Might have some for the Z if you are putting in a Z dash, may need both tho for tail lights etc...

Its all good man.

I have never wired up a car with one of those kits, but really it doesn't look that hard. Couple weekends and you should be off. Just take your time, everything is labelled, color coated and there are instructions. I have PDF wiring diagrams of the 510 etc if you need to figure out how to wire it up to the new wiring kit. Just shoot me a PM and i can email it sometime. Might have some for the Z if you are putting in a Z dash, may need both tho for tail lights etc...

Thanks Izzo, I may just do that!

If you go to my first link, that goes to the Painless site, 10307 kit, you can click around that page and find a link to a PDF manual for the kit. Go get the manual, and read it.

The Painless manual talks about wiring for the alternator, and starter for Ford, GM, and Mopar. We, on Ratsun will help you through that part, you have a Datsun.

Painless is a very good brand and pretty easy to install but I personally prefer American Autowire over them...

They have more options on kits and they are more modular meaning seperate runs with plugs rather than a roll of 100 wires 20ft long...

I have installed both brands and both types of kits from Am Aw, the pre-made direct fit and the custom type.

Just my $0.02

http://www.americana.../powerplus.html

I think a 13 circuit would get you by...

If you go to my first link, that goes to the Painless site, 10307 kit, you can click around that page and find a link to a PDF manual for the kit. Go get the manual, and read it.

The Painless manual talks about wiring for the alternator, and starter for Ford, GM, and Mopar. We, on Ratsun will help you through that part, you have a Datsun.

<3