Wierd Starter Stuff

I have a starter on my l16 that is only a few months old and worked fine up until a week ago. I was turning over the engine for the first time in a little while then there was a clunk sound and my starter stopped like it siezed. But i had not been working over the starter enough for it to get hot. I banged on it to see if the brushes were stuck and tried turning over the engine again and got nothing.

I pulled the starter and took it to the parts store to be tested. It worked out just fine. Went home and bolted it back up to the motor and it turned over like normal until just a few seconds later there was a clunk and it stopped again.

I had swapped the starter for an older one that was on its way out, it turned over a few times then a clunk. Im Kinda thinking that a starter isnt my issue and there is something going on that i dont know about.

anyone have/had the same issue? Ideas? Comments?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check Battery Cables ,,, Clean all connections ,,, ( If battery cables are very old or inferior quality ,,, they can rot through ,,, errrrr )

You can use a mult-meter ,,, remember electricity travels on the outside of the wire ,,,

starters can literally fall apart ,,, that COULD be a worn down brush like you said ! sure !

Test your battery ,,, :)

Make sure ignition timing isn't too advanced ,,, that makes a touch harder starting on a very cold night ,,, or in combination with a weak battery ,,,

Clean all engine / Battery Ground points !

Guest kamakazi620

Flywheel tooth missing,or two teeth missing,I had a 710 wagon with an automatic would work fine until the starter lined up with the missing teeth then it would "clunk" and jam....pull your starter and look at your flywheel,Or if you dont wanna tear apart,just put in gear and "rock the truck to move flywheel then try starting..

Flywheel tooth missing,or two teeth missing,I had a 710 wagon with an automatic would work fine until the starter lined up with the missing teeth then it would "clunk" and jam....pull your starter and look at your flywheel,Or if you dont wanna tear apart,just put in gear and "rock the truck to move flywheel then try starting..

That^^^^^