CA16DE at Tac Pull-A-Part

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to put a CA18DE in the Pumpkn so I was lookin for one and came across the CA16DE. You can get RWD trannys for them too. All I gotta figure out is what I gotta buy to run a carb.

I have heard some of the arguments for FI. But I have had lots of good experience with carbs and want it to be old school and simple. I just think that if I did FI it would cluster up my engine bay. Not to mention the extra expence of purchasing the Brain and Harness.

want it to be old school and simple

yes, carbs is old school

no, carbs are not simple. Try getting one tuned right :-)

EFI is dead simple, and runs perfect. Use the factory harness and brain, there is no need to buy an aftermarket computer. It will even help you find the problem if something goes out of spec. Carburetors don't do that, well except by not running right. But they don't tell you which part is bad...

yes, carbs is old school

no, carbs are not simple. Try getting one tuned right :-)

EFI is dead simple, and runs perfect. Use the factory harness and brain, there is no need to buy an aftermarket computer. It will even help you find the problem if something goes out of spec. Carburetors don't do that, well except by not running right. But they don't tell you which part is bad...

Carbs are much easier to tune and diagnose without computers. Its either idle mixture or a vaccum leak that will cause poor idle, bad fuel pump if no fuel in carb(or plugged filter if crappy tank), and if aftermarket not much for moving parts. With EFI you have multiple sensors, computer, wiring that you have to go through to find a problem. Even with self diagnosis of mosat EFI it doesnt tell you the exact part thats bad. Now aftermarket EFI is good but expensive also. Dual carbs can be a pain to set up and tune no doubt, but once they are set they are good, never had to mess with mine after set up. Dual carbs will also give more top end power since the stock EFI was not made for power but for gas mileage and emmission control. The individual throttle body injection systems are the best of both worlds but cost 2 or 3 times as much as a dual carb set up.

Carbs are much easier to tune and diagnose without computers. Its either idle mixture or a vaccum leak that will cause poor idle, bad fuel pump if no fuel in carb(or plugged filter if crappy tank), and if aftermarket not much for moving parts. With EFI you have multiple sensors, computer, wiring that you have to go through to find a problem. Even with self diagnosis of mosat EFI it doesnt tell you the exact part thats bad. Now aftermarket EFI is good but expensive also. Dual carbs can be a pain to set up and tune no doubt, but once they are set they are good, never had to mess with mine after set up. Dual carbs will also give more top end power since the stock EFI was not made for power but for gas mileage and emmission control. The individual throttle body injection systems are the best of both worlds but cost 2 or 3 times as much as a dual carb set up.

WORD!

Whatever you're comfortable with. If you know carbs that's what you go with. I would go with EFI, not that I know much about them, but there are advantages to using them.

I should imagine that any CA18 or CA20 efi would work on a CA16.

if you go carb how will you fire the cylinders? you would have to get a megasquirt to just run the ignition. or somehow adapt a dizzy.

just for your info, over at the 240sx forum, theres a thread in the ca18det section that says that you can essentially run a ca16de or ca18de from a front wheel drive to a rear wheel drive. the motor mount positions on the fwd motor are slightly different from the rwd motor, but the tranny and clutches are all the same bolt pattern. he is using a ca20e 5sp tranny from an 80's era 200sx. if you were to drop it in your car, you would have to fab up some kind of motor mounts anyway. i have been reasearching a lot to confirm this info. with no luck.

The CA20 used in the '83 200sx was carb. The next year it, and a CA18ET were available but with EFI. CA18ETs were available till '88 and the CA20 for one more year.

Would a CA16DE head fit a CA20?????

For the ignition, you can use MegaJolt, only $79 kit and it runs a coil pack setup.

Carbs are much easier to tune and diagnose without computers.
I'm sure you are right. I haven't used any aftermarket EFI computers, and I constantly hear of people having trouble with those.

So my comments are not about those, but only about factory setups. I've tuned dozens of carb cars and many EFI cars of all makes... practically all EFI cars have a computer so you don't need to "buy" another one just to tune or test it. You don't even need special equipment for pre-1994 models. And they tell me which part is bad.

Sometimes the problem is not one of the electronic ones, it's bad compression, loose vacuum hose, etc these are the difficult "EFI" problems to solve ... just like on a carbureted vehicle. So you need to know the same skills, yea.

Give it a try, you might like it. Go with a factory EFI system, no worries, no problems.

For the ignition, you can use MegaJolt, only $79 kit and it runs a coil pack setup.

I'm sure you are right. I haven't used any aftermarket EFI computers, and I constantly hear of people having trouble with those.

So my comments are not about those, but only about factory setups. I've tuned dozens of carb cars and many EFI cars of all makes... practically all EFI cars have a computer so you don't need to "buy" another one just to tune or test it. You don't even need special equipment for pre-1994 models. And they tell me which part is bad.

Sometimes the problem is not one of the electronic ones, it's bad compression, loose vacuum hose, etc these are the difficult "EFI" problems to solve ... just like on a carbureted vehicle. So you need to know the same skills, yea.

Give it a try, you might like it. Go with a factory EFI system, no worries, no problems.

i didn't know megajolt existed, this is going to change my future swap now. good info, thanks zilla

Guest DatsuNoob
FWD is good in the ice and snow

Nothing quite like FWD drifting in the snow with e-brake assist. I especially like the roundabout at Kenaskat-Palmer state park. My RWD deficient corolla is atleast good for that :rolleyes: :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.