5 speed Tranny differences ?

crowebar

I have a 1983 Kingcab 4x4 with a 5 speed tranny. The tranny has a 12" extension on the rear. I have read on E-Bay of a company selling an 82'-85' manual tranny with a 12" extension, coming out of a 2wd pickup. Does anybody know the difference between these two trannys ? Or are they the same ? Is the overall length the same ?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The overall length is determined by the tailshaft length. So it will be the same length.

There are other differences in 720 5-speeds by year and region (CAL, FED or CAN). For example, some have more or less electric switches (for emissions control) and some do not have a speedometer drive gear.

I have a 1983 Kingcab 4x4 with a 5 speed tranny. The tranny has a 12" extension on the rear. I have read on E-Bay of a company selling an 82'-85' manual tranny with a 12" extension, coming out of a 2wd pickup. Does anybody know the difference between these two trannys ? Or are they the same ? Is the overall length the same ?

The most obvious thing will be that it will have a speedometer drive on the driver's side of the tail, yours is in the transfer case. The next difference will be something you can't see, the internal ratios. Your 4x4 will have a low first gear with the ratios widely spaced. The 2wd will be closer together.

720 4x4

1st..... 3.592

2nd.... 2.246

3rd.... 1.415

4th..... 1.000

5th..... 0.813

720 2wd

1st..... 3.321

2nd.... 2.077

3rd..... 1.308

4th..... 1.000

5th..... 0.833

4X4 short tail 5 speed

83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg

2wd 5speed with short tail. Note speedometer cable just forward of the mount. (this is for an L series but the Z series is the same but for the front bolt pattern)

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

The most obvious thing will be that it will have a speedometer drive on the driver's side of the tail, yours is in the transfer case. The next difference will be something you can't see, the internal ratios. Your 4x4 will have a low first gear with the ratios widely spaced. The 2wd will be closer together.

720 4x4

1st..... 3.592

2nd.... 2.246

3rd.... 1.415

4th..... 1.000

5th..... 0.813

720 2wd

1st..... 3.321

2nd.... 2.077

3rd..... 1.308

4th..... 1.000

5th..... 0.833

4X4 short tail 5 speed

83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg

2wd 5speed with short tail. Note speedometer cable just forward of the mount. (this is for an L series but the Z series is the same but for the front bolt pattern)

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

Isn't the lower tranny a longshaft Datzenmike, I am curious, didn't the 720 4X4 shortshaft appear in late 1984? Wouldn't a 1983 4X4 have the longshaft with a short driveline between it and the transfer case, and in 1984 or 1985 the shortshaft appeared with a longer driveline.

Isn't the lower tranny a longshaft Datzenmike, I am curious, didn't the 720 4X4 shortshaft appear in late 1984? Wouldn't a 1983 4X4 have the longshaft with a short driveline between it and the transfer case, and in 1984 or 1985 the shortshaft appeared with a longer driveline.

That looks like a short tail.....and....yes and yes.

You can see the different lengths of front propeller shafts here...2nd from top would be used with the short tail.

One also has to change the companion flange on the transfer case to match the shaft(yolk)....if swapping long to short...or vice versa.

pshaft3.jpg

pshaft1.jpg

Differences................I now see there is more differences than I originally thought. Certainly the differences in driveline length adds complexity; of course one can have drivelines shortened or lengthened. But the gear ratios..............there is no way to get around the need for the low, low first gear ratio. I want to thank everyone for straightening me out.