dogleg swap

NCLNDYM

looked thru other posts and not findin all the info i need

Gettin ready to swap engine and tranny in my 510.. goin from L16 4 spd to modified L18 with dogleg 5 spd. Whats parts can i use from the L16 4spd to the L18 5spd.. My 5spd doesn't have the throw out bearing or clutch fork..just empty tranny. What mods need to be done for the tranny mount.

Are the clutch, clutch fork, bearing , slave cyl, and other internals able to cross over to the dogleg.

Is there a short throw shifter kit for this or one from another tranny

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TO collar, fork, and slave should cross over. If you replace the clutch with a different model then you may need to get a different TO collar. Not sure on cross member mods. I have an auto trans cross member that I used when I swapped my car to a 5 speed/L16...sitting on my shelf as I speak. :rolleyes:

Guest kamakazi620

Gettin ready to swap engine and tranny in my 510.. goin from L16 4 spd to modified L18 with dogleg 5 spd. Whats parts can i use from the L16 4spd to the L18 5spd.. My 5spd doesn't have the throw out bearing or clutch fork..just empty tranny. What mods need to be done for the tranny mount.

Are the clutch, clutch fork, bearing , slave cyl, and other internals able to cross over to the dogleg.

Short shift kit for a l series Datsun ? Rofl. Hahahahahahahaha you got me good lol

trannies (or transmissions for straight people) are the same, crossmember is the same, the flywheel, clutch, clutch fork, throw out bearing and throw out collar you want to keep together!

take your motor and trans out, take the trans off the motor take the clutch and flywheel off put them on the 1800 take the cutch fork collar and bearing out of the tans and put them on the 5 speed put the trans back on the motor slide the motor back into the car!

if you are fast maybe a 2 to 3 hour swap if you are ready and have the parts together!

Stock 510 flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout collar/bearing, fork. I then ordered a 200sx slave as I didnt have one. It all works for me.

Tranny mount is not the same.

Dogleg sits about 1 inch lower that stock.

Do this:

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

And short throw, you will need to modify everything! You will need to make extenders off the ears to raise the fulcrum point, and then extend the portion on the lever below the joint.

And short throw, you will need to modify everything! You will need to make extenders off the ears to raise the fulcrum point, and then extend the portion on the lever below the joint.

Bear with me....

Early 4/5 spd. 71B shift...

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

Later 4/5 spd. 71B shift with the raised fulcrum point...

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

... using this shifter for a true short throw with same length shifter. Decreased top movement and increased movement below the fulcrum pin. The one on the left below...

shifters001Large.jpg

Because of similarities between the 71B and the 63A dogleg this shifter should cross over. You will need to weld some extension on the shift ears like Laecaon suggested.

Dogleg...

63AdoglegshifterearsLarge.jpg

Hell if you have the tranny out this part of the striking rod assembly might swap from a zx.

Cutting the shifter is... well &%#$@* ..... The shifter should be in easy reach in every gear in your normal seating position. If you need to lean forward of shift your position in the seat any amount then you have it all wrong.

edit:

Forgot I had this picture. It shows the later shifter and large bushings on my dogleg. You would have to look and see if the section below the pin is longer on it compared to the dogleg shifter. If it is then nothing else is needed...

doglegshiftoptions003Large.jpg

The switch in the lower right corner is for the reverse light. It's all you need to connect on a 510. The other is a top gear switch (or w/e) for emissions.

Not on my tranny Dogleg...

I just went through my reverse lights trying to get the to work. In reverse only the top left one passed the continuity test. And now my reverse lights work.