Fog lamps

SKkeeterZ

Havent seen a thread for fog lamps

Was shopping around today, went by walmart napa and found nothing but plastic crap

Searched around on Craigslist

Found these unfortunately ad says they don't work

http://medford.craigslist.org/pts/2712203251.html

Love the look, just wondering would I be able to make work again

New bulbs and new wiring

What could the worst case scenario be

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on a couple other forums for my Subaru, and this is a topic that comes up CONSTANTLY... However, I can see it being a bit different here than there.

I think it ultimately depends on what you want to do with it... Don't knock the cheap stuff, it serves a purpose. If you want more lighting, and don't care too much about looks, I'd suggest checking out a truck (as in semi and dump truck) supply store. They tend to carry stuff that was meant to take abuse. I think you can find stuff with a plastic housing for cheaper than metal (especially chromed metal). If you need something a little more showy, they usually have lights with metal housings, and you can either get it in a black powdercoat, or chrome... Go with the powdercoat if you want to repaint it to match your truck, and the chrome if you want something shiny on your bumpers. I'd say this is your best bet if you want relatively cheap, but reliable lights.

If you want something with a classic look, like those CL lights you posted, then CL is your best bet here (unless you happen to live in an area that has classic car wreckers, and can get something there). Ideally, you want something that uses little bulbs, not a sealed-beam type light, although that might be hard to find in a classic style. If you find a great set of lights for cheap that don't work, or are 6 VDC instead of 12 VDC, you can always try to find a replacement sealed-beam bulb for them. I know there's at least one company that makes them in various sizes... I'll try to get the name for you tomorrow. I've got a set of classic 4" fog light housings, and I found a pair of new 4" yellow sealed-beam fog lights to put in them. Where, you ask? At a truck supply store.

If you've got the money, however, you should be able to find something online... There's actually someone local to me selling a pair of NOS Hella 160 fog lights for $200. Apparently they're from the '70's or so, and they look great, but I prefer the cheap route.

One more thing: Like Laecaon mentioned, there's a difference between fog and driving lights, so you should figure out which ones you want. However, it's usually possible to find both fog and driving beam pattern lenses/reflectors for them, so if you find a set of driving lights with great housings, but want fog lights instead, you might be able to just track down a pair of replacement lenses for them. Check out Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and read the tech pages... There's a lot of info in there regarding beam patterns, colours, bulb types, etc.

Fog lamps have a beam pattern that is wide side to side but only a few feet up and down. This reduces that warp 10 Start Trek effect in rain or snow storms and in fog it doesn't look like a big bright wall in front of you. The reduced back glare and thin beam pattern allows you eyes to see deeper into the fog or rain. They're not for everyone who thinks brighter is better. Usually they are yellow/amber.

Driving lamps are full out bigger and brighter to see further down the road. Any coating on them (fake HID blue) will merely reduce the light output.

The chrome trim rins come off and you can replace the lights with a 12 volt light. I have some vintage fog lights that I am selling that are brand new in the box but from the 70's they are amber fog lights they are 12volt $60 pair plus shipping

007-14.jpg

006-17.jpg

im gonna do some shopping, and see if i can find anything, but those are really nice and i like the amber/yellow look