what driveshaft

squatches

ok im doing a ka24de swap into my 71 510 wagon and i was told that i could use the 2dr 510 drive shaft and not have to cut it is this true? also what do you do as far as swaybar? i found somewhere where it said to use a 78 620 one. any other tips, help, and advise will be apreciated.

thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I swapped my sr20det into my 620 I took my factory driveshaft and carefully measured it and cut it on a bandswaw. I carefully cut the yoke out of the old tube so that I could slip it into my shortened tube. I filed the end of my tube sqaure. I then put the yoke into the prepared tube and welded two passes around it. By shortening the shaft on the end you can help eliminate vibration. It is recommended that you get your shaft balanced however I did not and I am having no problems after over 2000 miles. 

ok im doing a ka24de swap into my 71 510 wagon and i was told that i could use the 2dr 510 drive shaft and not have to cut it is this true? also what do you do as far as swaybar? i found somewhere where it said to use a 78 620 one. any other tips, help, and advise will be apreciated.

thanks

Do you have your engine in yet? you can just stick it in there and see if it'll fit or not, might have to buy a 2door d/s to test it or you can try barrowing one.

+1 in sway bar answer.

Basically I believe The nose on the differential is longer on the 2dr/4dr than the wagon. But the wheel base is the same on the all the cars. What this means is that the wagon driveshaft is longer by maybe 3 inches, but nothing amazing. It will all depend on the transmission, and where you mounted the motor.

Yes, that is true.

Depending on what transmission you use, the stock 510 2-dr/4-dr driveshaft can still be used.

However, most KA transmissions are longer than the 510 transmission, and so require a shorter driveshaft.

i will be using the ka24 transmission, with the engine mouted with stock l16 lower mounts and the stock ka upper mounts.

Do you have your engine in yet? you can just stick it in there and see if it'll fit or not, might have to buy a 2door d/s to test it or you can try barrowing one.

+1 in sway bar answer.

the engine is still in the 240 currently, as for driveshaft i dont have a 2 door shaft amd i dont know anyone who has one i could borrow for testing purposes ( i live on the east coast 510's are like unicorns here) tongue.gif

Yes, wagon is different.

2-dr and 4-dr are the same.

To know whether it will work with your KA Transmission -- which transmission do you have? There were different KA transmissions. How long is the transmission?

There is a transmission for the KA that is the same length as the stock 510 transmission. If you use that, the stock driveshaft works and the shifter comes up in the stock hole. I believe the transmission is from the Z engine in the 720 pickup and is the "shorty" transmission. It bolts to a KA, same bell pattern.

To know whether it will work with your KA Transmission -- which transmission do you have? There were different KA transmissions. How long is the transmission?

im not sure of the length as the transmission is still in car, but it is coming out of a 91 with the dual cam engine and 5spd trans which doesnt narrow it down much lol

thanks

If you have a goon you can use a sedan driveshaft when fitting a 620 or z/zx 'B ' type 5 speed. It's about 1 inch short but will work and has been done. If swapping a 'C' type You will have to measure and shorten to fit because there are at least 2 'C' type 5 speed lengths used. Because I haven't got one I don't have an accurate length. Everyone seems to measure them differently.