Junkyard boost?

Now that my swap is done and running, & many thanks too everyone that gave me advice through the whole process. I'm thinking about the next project. My 86.5 nissan hardbody auto with z24I is decent right now but I'm looking to bring the power level up justa bit with the next project engine. I want to build a strong and reliable ka24e-t.

I know ka's have been talked about alot and I know there's abit of a aftermarket out there for them but I'm not going for 500hp or anything but 200ft-lbs of torque would be great! I'm trying to see whats the best used junkyard parts I could use as in turbo, manifolds, what injectors would I need?, if I have to switch to another computer besides what comes with ka ...which one?, what certain year ka should I look for to start with or is there a certain year combo head and block I should look for? If I have to change pistons, which other nissan engine would have what I need? I've read up a little on ka's but from what I have found its mostly new/aftermarket, cams, injectors, chips etc etc for boosting.

this engine maybe going in my truck soon after build because I'm not sure how long this z24 that I just put in there is gona last, but I'm going to try and hold out as long as I can until I get the money and time to do a SAS conversion. Low end torque is a must of course. and I figure a different tranny as well since I have to use an auto tranny. If I'm missing something please chime in. Thanks!!!!!!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check KA-T.org. Lots of info out there. Just remember, it's a harder route than normal, especially because it's in a truck. Not saying you can't do it, but you will have a need for custom things here and there. I'd like to turbo my KAZ24 eventually. Not at the moment, but some day. Probably after I get the 510 finished.

Just add a turbo to the Z24. Simpler, you've already got the engine installed. You can put just as much boost on the Z24 as on the KA24. 5 psi without an intercooler and 10-15 psi with intercooler.

You don't need to change pistons unless you are trying to get 400 hp out of it.

im pretty sure that your z 24 should only have linke 8.5 to 1 cr, so the pistons would be just fine with some boost.... someday im planning on doing a blowthrough setup on my z24

Thanks! I was looking around on KA-T.org and found a wealth of information but since I'm trying to use junkyard parts and not buy new or aftermarket parts unless its a must have like bearings, gaskets, oil pump etc etc....things like that or things that adapt the engine for boost like manifolds....if I cant find them used.. The other z24 I yanked out of my truck was junk and got sent to the scrap yard about a month or 2 ago. I dont want to boost the engine I have in the truck now because I'm not leaving my truck stranded again and I want to get away from the z24 anyway lol.

I was thinking about a turbo off the old mitsubishi based K cars but I'm not sure yet, I tried looking for a vehicle application chart that showed year, make and model of turbo applications from factory to get an idea of what I'm looking for, when I was looking to supercharge I found an application chart for that.........only if I could find the turbo version of that lol. As soon as the holidays are over I'm going to start scavenging with my piggy bank lol. I understand that I would have to modify for fitment but I have a welding shop down the road that could weld up adapter plates that I have to make.

I'm also sending what ever KA24E I get to the machine shop to check for cracks and fitments of bearings piston rings etc etc when I start the rebuild, just to be sure I don't screw up lol. I appreciate the info, keep it coming.

You can. The main difference between a gasloline and diesel turbo is its seals. Diesel turbos don't have positive seal , which means that if put it in a suck-through system they can leak oil under extreme vacuum, which happens when throttle is closed. This is not a problem in a blow-through system.

You can. The main difference between a gasloline and diesel turbo is its seals. Diesel turbos don't have positive seal , which means that if put it in a suck-through system they can leak oil under extreme vacuum, which happens when throttle is closed. This is not a problem in a blow-through system.

Besides the fact that they barley spool with minimal air pressure and that they are designed for low end tourqe and low revs , and I would love to see how one would tap for oil

I dont mind a debate at all. I dont have the cash built up for any parts yet so I'm just lookiing up information on everything and I even tried to find a list of all the cars ever made that had turbo's and the info on that specific turbo on each vehicle but my luck aint so good lol. I'm looking into the calculations to see what turbo I need but I'm not sure how to do that just for torque and not really hp.

I'm not going for drag or a torque monster but 200ft lb of torque would be enough for the engine to do abit of mudding and get ok gas mileage without buying enough aftermarket parts to build a full drag engine just to use as a daily driver lol. I'm still doing research on the SAS that I want to do on this truck and I'm thinking the 200ft lb of power should be enough to play with off-road..

Keep the idea's and suggestions coming. Thanks again!!!!!