Lots of truck questions

Momboy007

Hello All,

I am new to the Datsun truck thing, I just got a 1969 (L-16 motor?)from my neighbor that is too old to drive and gave it to me. He was the original owner and the oil was milky so I decided to change out the head gasket.

When I was checking for TDC, it is really hard to see the crankshaft pointer, I even think it may be bent, so I just went with the #1 piston in the full up position, with the cam lobes at 10 and 2, then did the chain etc... I have not tried to start it yet. I noticed it has dual points, can I disconnect the retard set? If so, how do I do this. Also, there is a water line just behind the fuel pump that runs into what appears the carb, do I need this?

Thanks all and I will bet I will still have lots of questions in the near future.

Rick

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know for sure that the engine crankshafe is at TDC, you can look through the top oblong hole in the camshaft sprocket, and you will see a "V" notch on the back face of the cam sprocket, and ther will be a short mark on the thrust plate directly behind the sprocket. The "V" noch should be somewhere within the shork mark. If it is not move the cam chain to the number three index hole.

The retarded set of points are only activated when the truck is in third gear, coasting down hill under light throttle. You can just unplug the connection at the distributer. If you want it to look correct, you can adjust the retarded set of points so they are not really retarded, inside the distributer.

The Intake manifold is heated with water, and not exhaust like on many domestic engines. I would leave it hooked up, or the engine will be really cold blooded, especially if the hot air tube from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner is missing.

Valve clearance, cold. Intake .008, Exhaust .010. Hot, intake .010, Exhaust .012

Idle speed, 700 rpm

Ignition timing, 10 degrees Btdc, at 700 rpm..Vacuum line does not need to be disconnected.

If you are running a point type distributer, dwell 49 to 55 degrees.

The back rim of the crank pulley will have a small notch in it (so small it's hard to see or find) There will be a saw toothed timing scale bolted to the timing cover just to the side of the pulley. It can be on either side, most are on the passenger side and typically read in 5 degree increments: 20 I 10 I 0 Bent or not, if the crank is at TDCCompression the notch will be near the scale.

None of the 520/521 wiring diagrams show the dual points but there should be two wires going to the distributor on yours. One wire (possibly Black) goes to the coil and should be left as is. The second wire should go to a relay. Disconnect it or unplug the relay will disable the retard set.

Are you sure it's the L-Series? I've got a 521 that was built for the 1970 model year that has the J-13. You can find out which engine it is by looking on the side of the block, near the firewall. I think the number is stamped on the passenger's side.

The J engine will have thin stamped steel valve covers and a cast steel head with distributor on pass side. The L series will have a large cast aluminum valve cover AND head with distributor on driver's side and fuel pump on the front pass side of head.

I have also seen L-16 with only a single pointer, and several notches on the crank pulley, with a larger one for TDC.

I have factory wiring diagrams for 521 that show the dual point distributer.

Well post it. I would be interested in getting the wiring diagram.