74 260Z

sbZ

Hey everyone. I've been lurking around here after finally finding this place a few days ago. Figured I'd Introduce myself and the rolling death trap.

She's an early 74 260z that was in pretty rough shape when I got her. Had it for a few months now and finally started to make some progress. The previous owner had been letting it rot away in his yard for the last 2 years and from what it looks like the owner before that had done the same. I've got it running and done a couple little things so I figured I'd start a build thread before I actually got into anything big. However with as broke as I am Its going to take a while to get it anywhere near where I want it. Word to the wise, dont buy a project car when you can barely afford to pay rent...

So far I've; got it running (seemed like the place to start), new front bumper, gutted most of the interior.

The plans for the near future are; good shocks and cut springs (until I can afford coilovers), poly bushing kit, wheels and tires, install the 4.11 rear end the PO gave me, convert to manual (already have the tranny just need all the other crap), paint and fix the rust spots (the passenger side is like riding in the fred flintstone mobile) not necessarily in that order.

Anyway enough with the words heres some pics...

How it sat in the PO's driveway when I bought it

IMAG0173.jpg

hjtyj.jpg

Aaaannnnndd now... not much difference on the outside. And I dont have any interior pics atm. Ill have to wait till the weekend to take some cause literally the only time i get to see sunlight at home is on the weekends

Next to my DD

IMAG0193.jpg

IMAG0212.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice find, I've made many offers to a guy that has a 260z sittin infront of his shop hasn't touched it for more than 10-15 yrs I was a freshman in highschool when first saw it. Hate when people do that, leave datsuns to rott and sell them when there almost falling apart. Best of luck on the restore hope to see more, also you could try HybridZ.org it's the god of Z cars forum!

Welcome to ratsun and good save.

Came with libres are they real? Might have to make your own floors, the ones ive found are like 400$

Nice find, I've made many offers to a guy that has a 260z sittin infront of his shop hasn't touched it for more than 10-15 yrs I was a freshman in highschool when first saw it. Hate when people do that, leave datsuns to rott and sell them when there almost falling apart. Best of luck on the restore hope to see more, also you could try HybridZ.org it's the god of Z cars forum!

come get mine its not all rotted.

Welcome dude! Glad to have another local on the forums. You're actually just a 20 minuet (or so) drive from me. If you ever need a hand wrenching, let me know!

By the way, you didn't by chance tow this car into an Autozone parking lot for some tow straps the night you got it did you? I saw one just like this a few months or so back...

well damn thanks for the warm welcome already 4 posts and not 1 asshole comment dont make me be the first...:P

280: yeah ive been on all the others for a while hybridz, zcar zdriver etc. etc. just never had the desire to comment

RB: I dont know yet Ive taken them off so many times and keep meaning to check but forgetting. I will this weekend. Either way I dont really care for them. I was gonna see if anyone would want to trade for them.

DM: Truer words were never spoken.

Metal: Thanks man you too. Im not a mechanic or anything but Ive toyed with a few cars in my time and Im always down to turn a wrench. I dont know about the car in the parking lot though. The PO towed it up here for me. I was waiting for it when it got here. probably was though otherwise it would be a hell of a coincidence seeing another one just like it in downtown atlanta.

well damn thanks for the warm welcome already 4 posts and not 1 asshole comment dont make me be the first...:P

Nahhhh, we don't roll like that. You know what they say, first impressions are everything.

Metal: Thanks man you too. Im not a mechanic or anything but Ive toyed with a few cars in my time and Im always down to turn a wrench. I dont know about the car in the parking lot though. The PO towed it up here for me. I was waiting for it when it got here. probably was though otherwise it would be a hell of a coincidence seeing another one just like it in downtown atlanta.

Mechanic is such a played out word around GA. Seems like if you can change a distributor cap, you're a mechanic. I consider us enthusiasts. cool.gif There aren't many serious Datsun owners in this area, so consider yourself a new breed!

I'm 20 years old, and just picked up my second Datsun. I've been looking to score a Z car, but people around here either want to much, or the cars are devastated. You're a very lucky dude!

Edited by metalmonkey47

Actyly, you dont have to take them off, if you reach thr and feal the back of the spoke.

If the spokes are hallow in yhe back there not real, if they have a rib that runs up the center of the spoke there real. Or yeah if they say american racing wheels on the inside, there real, either way cool car :)

I'm 20 years old, and just picked up my second Datsun. I've been looking to score a Z car, but people around here either want to much, or the cars are devastated. You're a very lucky dude!

Yeah Ive noticed that. I looked for about a month before finding this one and I saw it like 10 minutes after he posted it on craigslist so i jumped all over it. I think I got a good deal considering all the parts I got with it.

Actyly, you dont have to take them off, if you reach thr and feal the back of the spoke.

If the spokes are hallow in yhe back there not real, if they have a rib that runs up the center of the spoke there real. Or yeah if they say american racing wheels on the inside, there real, either way cool car

Felt her up tonight when I got home and yes they are real. Maybe someone will think theyre valuable and trade me something nice!

Id give ya a hand if you need anything also (im the guy you got the trans from). Im out here in k-saw. Pics of mine are a thread or 2 up.

Thanks dude. Yeah I saw your thread before. Didnt realize it was you though. I only saw the red one in the driveway. Nice Z. I really like the orange.

When you get new wheels, post em up for sale, for some reason people like em. I dont realy know what there worth, Or what width yours are, 7+ inches demand more monies.

If I find a roadster I'd but these.

My yellow one sleeps in the garage and doesnt come out if theres a possibility of it raining.

Well ..... it's still early. :lol: Kidding, but you never know. Good first post though. Even a poor post with pictures can often equal a really good post without. You got both right. Bonus points for not mentioning a SB motor swap.

Well I have an update for the z. I was just going to post some pictures of the interior buuuuttt sadly the real update is that the engine blew today. I finally got it running well a couple weeks ago too. Oh well I guess ill be doing a swap sooner than I planned. Hopefully I get a good tax return this year... If anyone knows anyone that would want to trade a good engine for a hood or doors or a "K" R180 or a 47" tv let me know.

Anyways here's a oic if the interior after gutting most of it last weekend

IMAG0254.jpg