mypos620

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Digging another thread out of the past. I am in the opposite position. I need my truck (78) to pass smog and need to know what the required items are... I DO NOT have a cat (Dont know if one came on it). I am in california so if anyone has a cali truck that has the crap on it please tell me. I took some pictures earlier and will post them when I get home to show what I have. I will also have a surprise to show off in the comming weeks. I hope to be street legal within the next month or so.

I have a '79 Cali truck, '78 was essentially the same.

Yes, it had a Cat when new IF it was a Cali truck. EZ way to tell- if the dash top warning light has a "Floor Temperature" warning light in addition to the seatbelt warning light, it was a Catalyst (plus it had the emissions sticker under the hood that says "CATALYST" ). A non-Cali truck would not have one.

The rest of the equipment was essentially the same, and most places will require it all to be present:

Smog pump

Air injection manifold (injects air from smog pump into exhaust manifold- headers without injection ports are illegal in Cali)

EGR valve and piping

AB (Anti-Backfire) valve- which requires use of stock air cleaner.

Stock air cleaner.

Webers CAN be used if issues with a CARB (California Air Resources Board) ID number, but they have to have an adaptor to run the stock Datsun air cleaner, must have an electric choke, and must have a shutoff solenoid.

PCV and charcoal canister must be present.

The little metal hose from the exhaust manifold heat shield to the air cleaner must be present.

This is all stuff a buddy in Sacramento was required to have to pass smog. All the shops he tried in Sacramento had charts for the 620- he couldn't get away with anything.

Oh, and I've heard they require the emissions sticker under the hood to be present and correct for the year (they say what year they're for on the sticker).

Oh, and I've heard they require the emissions sticker under the hood to be present and correct for the year (they say what year they're for on the sticker).

uh... I dont have one under my hood... I have no stickers under my hood... Crap. I think I have most of those parts. I know I have no cat. I would post my pictures but my cam is in the other room and I am about to pass out. I am scared that this thing wont ever get back on this road... that makes me sad.

Pac coast has a '74 which is technically smog exempt, but since it came from out of State he had to have it inspected which is why he needed the sticker on a '74.

The early ('73-75) 620s didn't have a hood sticker, so either yours has had the hood replaced or someone peeled it off (or painted over it). If you don't have the sticker they may require you to put a Cat on to match the Cali emissions requirement.

If you don't have the sticker they may require you to put a Cat on to match the Cali emissions requirement.

ususally its not required to put something on that wasnt there to begin with, even if was not originally a ca truck. ya never know though...

IF all the equip is present (and appears to) function properly, an exemption can be obtained if its show that it will cost more than $500 to repair. (double check me on this)

ususally its not required to put something on that wasnt there to begin with, even if was not originally a ca truck. ya never know though...

That's true, but if the smog sticker is missing it may be difficult to prove it wasn't a Cali truck to begin with... Well I suppose a title history would prove that, if it was ever registered outside Cali.