Tensioner Spring for Timing Chain advice

Juicebox

I'm a new member and I've worked on my a couple friend's Datsuns and I have begun to fall in love with them so I'm thinking about taking the plunge into ownership. However, I could use some advice if certain deals are worth it.

Here's a Datsun I found on craigslist http://portland.crai...2704054295.html

I'm wondering if the tensioner spring is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix, or if it's gonna be a living hell trying to get to it. Also has anyone else attempted to contact the owner? I tried emailing the craigslist email and he hasn't responded and there isn't any other contact information.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Needs new tensioner spring for timing chain other wise in very good running condition. It does need work and will need to be towed to a destination. "

Let me translate this for you: Needs the tensioner put back in place (or replaced) because I didn't lock the timing chain in place and naturally it popped out. Now the oil pump, distributor, water pump, crank pulley must be removed so that the timing cover will come off to get at it.

This one will need replacing because the motor was rotated and squashed the spring. The spring doesn't wear out but the shoe on the end does and the chain can stretch. If the shoe or the left and right chain guides are worn out or the chain stretched then a timing kit is needed to replace these.

tensionerout.jpg

motorchaintensioner2LgLarge.jpg

Now the truck does not run, so you cannot drive it to check the brakes, the shifting of the transmission, the clutch, if the motor smokes/knocks/ leaks/overheats/ will restart (or start in the first place) exhaust leaks, if the alternator charges, heater works, steering/alignment, and what ever else. If this sounds harsh, well it is. Harsher to buy something that has everything wrong with it too. The owner should spend a weekend fixing this otherwise it's no better than one in a wrecking yard. So, it all comes down to how much do you trust the seller.

Offer 300/400 $for the truck.

a tensioner is about 15 bucks and a Felprop fron cover set the same. and your time.

If Lazy dont dont worry about it and dont buy it as like the last onwer as he says its running good and just the tensioner. But Really who KNOWS WHATS GOING ON IN THERE . cOULD BE A SHEARED OFF BOLT ON THE CHAIN GUIDES.

heres the vid. Only way it can be EZer is If I come over and do it for FREE for you

Key is if your a Hardcore Datsun guys others will help when possible. But alot of guys are here today and split due to money issue /women ect no place to keep it at the apartment.........So alot will tell you how to fix it and if motivated we will be able to tell if your worth helping.

But most of us can provide INFO to guide you if you have a basic mechanic ability.

I have been following for about a week and decided to join but, to avoid spamming up the forum, is there a way to get a general idea from someone if a Datsun is worth the time/price?

Sure, go to the top of the page and click on FORUMS. You can select GENERAL DISCUSSION and hit START NEW TOPIC. Now you have your own thread. Describe your problem. It's easy to give an opinion but better for everyone if you post pictures and a good description of the car in question and any plans for what you want to do with it.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

If I get the owner to respond to any of my messages then I'll go for it. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty. I love wrenching, it's my addiction. If I know anyone and there is any mechanical work to be done I'm over there as soon as I can. Unfortunately going to college 4 days a week, and working my weekends sucks up most of my time.

I have a daily driver that I keep in top shape, I don't love it but, it gets me from point A to B. I'm really busy right now but, next term I will have less days at school (same amount of credits) and I will be working at Pick n Pull so I'll have access to parts.